We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to wear?

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What not to wear?

This week will bring our first trip to Newport. Staying at the Hyatt. I'm wondering what people tend to wear.....we have traveled extensively at the New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland shores where the dress is super casual at most times. Is Newport more of a dress-to-impressive beach resort? We plan to talk comfortable walking shoes, shorts, bathing suits...but do people tend to dress up more for dinner? I'm not a Vanderbilt...but should I dress like I am?

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to wear?

Most places are casual, unless you were going to a high-end restaurant at night, so if you're in shorts and a decent shirt, you'll be ok.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to wear?

Npt and RI is definitely more casual, but if you want to dress up for nice dinner, go for it. From the days of pirating, Newport has never stuffy. What with day trippers from RI, CT, MA, and NJ, sometimes I wish people dressed nicer.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What not to wear?

If you are dining at Bouchards or the Spiced Pear or someplace similar, i would dress a bit... Otherwise, casual is fine

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What not to wear?

My sister from Pennsylvania breathed a sigh of relief last year in Newport. A week's relief from elastic waist bands and wife beaters. I think people in newport are a little snazzy. Chino's are great. Skirts with flats and a sweater are great too.

5. Re: What not to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2012, 13:05
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What not to wear?

Just got back, noticed many women wearing sundresses with flats or cage sandals. Lots of summer maxi dresses with big sunhats. Some scary and impossibly high stilleto heals and also high platform shoes. Not quite sure how they survive those...Guys its simple. Chino anything with collared shirts and sockless loafers. And turn that collar up baby, you are in Newport now.

7. Re: What not to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Newport