We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
611 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

We have one day to see the mansion area (Tuesday the 30th of Oct.). I was wanting to do the Cliff Walk and tour one mansion (probably the Elms regular tour and servant tour). I would like suggestions on how to dress (resort casual / very casual and warmth) for the very last week in October. Can you suggest a schedule for the day (what time to arrive in the mansions area, whether to do mansion tours or Cliff Walk first, etc. I was thinking it should be quite a bit warmer later in the day to be walking the cliffs). Could you advise on where we might have lunch? I am wanting budget and family friendly fare, though I would have considered the tea room if it wasn't closing for the year two days before our arrival! Are there any other sights that you think we should see considering the ages of our sons? I would really appreciate you helping me to make this a wonderful family day! Thank you!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

Newport is very casual, but plenty of people also dress resort casual, more so in the summer though; by the last week in October you could have a rare early snowstorm, or get lucky with a day in the 70's. Plan on crisp, cool nights, possibly even in the 40's, and sunny days in the mid-to low 60's, and being on the water it cools off early. I can't even bear to think about it, but it's still a nice time.

The nice thing about Cliff Walk is you get the morning sun rising over the ocean and the wind is behind you so the so the mornings if it's sunny are exceptionally nice. Just something to consider. The last week of Oct in RI the leaves are in their prime, so it's still a very nice time; I'm sure there will be Halloween activities around, and there are always lots of things at the harbor that interest young people, in terms of shops, boats, an arcade, and other things. It's a fun place, enjoy!

Edited: 31 July 2012, 02:38
Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
611 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

Can you tell me more about this harbor area and would I have time to go there keeping in mind the other must-dos I mentioned earlier?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

The harbour area is where you would likely arrive, and is the heart of Newport, especially for the tourists; it's where all the boutiques, shopping, boats, and most of the restaurants are. The mansions and Cliff Walk area start start just up the hill from the harbour, a couple of blocks away. There are no restaurants nearby the mansions since it is residential.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 14:22
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

Definitely see the harbor! It's real living history. Many of the buildings date from the Colonial era. There is an arcade on Thames St that your boys would likely enjoy. The harbor area also the best place to grab lunch. Scales and Shells for real RI seafood, Brick Alley Pub if not. Nikolas Pizza on Memorial is fast, good and inexpensive and half way between Belleview Ave and Thames. They also have other Italian dishes besides pizza.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
611 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

Thanks for the advice! There seems to be two different harbor areas: Bannister's Wharf and Bowen's Wharf. What is the difference?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

It's all the harbor area, these are different wharf's or piers that come off of Thames St, the one long street that runs the length of the harbor. THere are maps on the gonewport website.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 21:58
7. Re: Would you help me plan a day? Late Oct. w/ 9 & 15 year boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:17