We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

We bought general seating tix for the Jazz festival. Do you know if there is any shade available? I am traveling with a redhead so sitting in the hot sun all day is a very bad idea. Any thoughts?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

There isn't any shade. Bring chairs and hats. There are some tents with displays where you could get some relief but those are away from the stage area and lawn.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 15:51
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

bummer....do you know if there is shade in the reserved sections?

Edited: 31 July 2012, 16:30
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

I beleive the reserved sections are in the front. The way this summer is going now, chances are there will be some clouds.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

Any other tips for getting along fine at the Jazz festival? I went years ago when it was at the ballpark downtown, have not been since it grew up and moved to Fort Adams. Really excited to be back in beautiful Newport for the weekend.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

I went last year for the first time myself. You have to stand in line to get a bracelet, then they let you in to get a seat. If you don't bring a chair, you will probably be on the ground with a chair in front of you. Food & drink at the vendors tends to be expensive, which is typical I guess. Taking the water taxi there from another area in the harbor, or from Jamestown is nice to do. I have heard the festival from my house my whole life, and the one day I go, it just poured rain all day- I had to leave early. The only people who were at an advantage were those with the huge umbrellas. Chances are the weather will be beautiful; however last weeks Folk was also a washout. Newport is as beautiful as ever.

6. Re: Shade at Newport Jazz Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 22:15