We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching in August

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching in August

I'm planning to be in the area next week. Will I be able to go and see whales?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching in August

Whales aren't all that common around here....no real organized Whale Watches like out on the Cape. That being said, there was a whale sighted off Brenton Point today....maybe you'll get lucky and see it too.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching in August

Thank you. what do you see on the 3 hour boat tours?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching in August

Which 3 hour boat tours? As mentioned, the whales are on the Cape as the water is much colder there; chartered boat trips here are usually fishing trips, unless it's a sailing cruise in and around Newport where you would relax, eat, and watch the sites. And even on the Cape, there's no guarantee you'll see them, I think. Great to hear one was sighted around here; I'd like to see that at least once in my lifetime. I noticed as of yesterday, the bait fish and terns are in now- since the water is so warm, maybe that's why.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 17:16
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching in August

How is your stomach? If you have the constitution of Ahab go to Barnstable and catch a whale watching boat there. It's a ride to the feeding grounds so you'll be bobbing (and I DO mean bobbing) out on the water for about 4 hours. If you don't want to test yourself, drive to Provincetown and get a boat there. It's 15 minutes to the whales from there.

There was a whale watching trip from Pt Judith but it was a REAL long ride and sightings were spotty. I'm not sure if it still runs but since Barnstable is about the same distance from Newport go to the Cape where you will likely see some.

5. Re: Whale Watching in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 16:16