We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day weekend itinerary

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day weekend itinerary

My husband and I (both 30) will be spending labor day weekend in Newport (coming from NYC) and would very much appreciate some help planning our visit. Some items on our current list are:

- the inn at castle hill (better for lunch/drinks or sunset time?)

- sailing cruise (either sunset or during the day for a couple of hours?)

- some bicycle riding

- some beach time

- cliff walk (shorter walk, 3-5 miles total)

- dinners and drinks outdoors or on water

We are staying at the Viking Hotel, arriving Friday evening and leaving around 1-2 pm on Monday. Thanks so much for any suggested itineraries, fun restaurants, and any activities I missed!

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

You already have some great ideas!

For Castle Hill, you can't go wrong with either, but it does get a bit chilly by the water in the evening. They have a lawn menu that is available until sunset. I prefer to go on Saturdays because I don't care for their brunch menu as much but you really can't go wrong.

For the sailing cruise, there are a number of charters that use 12 meters that are former America's Cup racers. If you google Newport 12 meter you will get difft options depending on the time you want to go. There are other larger boats like the Madeline as well that may have more families (it has been awhile since I have been on the Mad).

For bike riding, I would do the 10 mile drive, info about it found here http://www.oceandrivenewport.com/

I like 2nd Beach best. Huge stretch of beach, there are surf and SUP rentals and a snack bar. First Beach frequently has a lot of seaweed and Third is much more quiet with some families and a public boat launch.

For drinks on the water I like 41 North, but beware it is pricey. There is everything from more casual clam shacks like Flo's to higher end dining so it kind of depends what you are looking to spend.

NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

Thanks so much! Also, any restaurant suggestions would be great. Uncertain about arrival time on Friday so will likely play that by ear, perhaps just get a drink/snack on the roof of the hotel, so basically have two dinners to plan. Considering Fluke, the Fifth Element, 41 North (perhaps just after dinner for drinks), Bouchard, Castle Hill Inn (maybe for a late lunch), but we love outdoor dining, being on the water, seafood and raw bar so I am not sure I have the best mix for that! We love good food and a fun atmosphere as well, so maybe one more "festive" place and one with great food/views that could be more intimate? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

For "cheap and authentic" I'd recommend Flo's Clam Shack a hair over the line in MIddletown (under $10 pp), Have you looked at PIneapples at the Hyatt on Goat Island? The view absolutely can't be beat! I haven't tasted the food, however.

Bouchard's is awesome French dining. NOT "fun", but "formal". Still, I would eat here if I owned a tie or a dress.

Castle Hill Inn... you can enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail here... and I strongly recommend it on an Adirondack chair on the lawn. The dining room is uneven in it's ratings. However... I strongly caution that Newport RARELY gets sunset views. The marine haze usually blankets them. Do your cruises etc earlier in the day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

41 North has is festive with good food, is on the water and has a raw bar. It is expensive and service can be slow but it certainly ticks many of your boxes. You may want to also consider the Mooring which is a seafood restaurant on the water and 22 Bowens which also has outside seating and a rawbar and is in the middle of Bowens wharf with plenty of action (check if they serve their full menu portside). I have never eaten inside at Bouchards but go in to use the restroom while eating at their outside bar (very small bar outside with a handful of cafe size tables serve dinner). Inside is a bit more conservative and formal as the above poster mentioned. The above mentioned restaurants are on the pricy side. For less expensive I like the raw bar at Flo's if at the beach or in town at http://www.aquidnecklobsterbar.com/

Edited: 28 August 2012, 14:09
Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

No mansions?

http://www.newportmansions.org/

6. Re: Labor Day weekend itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Newport