We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B Verses A Hotel

Texas
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
B&B Verses A Hotel

The Mr and I will spend three nights in Newport (June 28th - July 1st) and I'm trying to decide between a hotel or a B&B. We've never stayed in a B&B before but have always wanted to. Thoughts on the pros &/or cons of each. BTW we will be renting a car when we land at Logan for our stay in Newport. I am thinking parking might figure in the equation. Thanks for your insight!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

depending on the size of a b&b, you may feel like you are staying in someone's home (because you are). some people are not comfortable with this. also no fitness room, room service, etc.

but you can get a more cozy relaxed experience. Just as not every hotel experience is the same, neither is every b&b so hard to generalize.

If you see one you like, read reviews and see if it has a personality that attracts you and maybe give it a shot.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

I'm guessing most of the b&b's in Newport don't have the feel that you'd be entering in someone's private home. There would be a dining room and living room, but clearly meant for guests. Often the best thing may be that there is a nice garden or yard to relax in; there tends to be an impression of a slightly more sociable atmosphere, between other guests and the owners. But it's not expected.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading reviews for several properties and the majority are really favorable so I'm considering it for a different experience. Afterwards we'll head to Boston for 7 days and I've booked a hotel for that portion of our stay.

Edited: 14 December 2012, 20:19
Newport, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

I would recommend a B&B for Newport. Lots to choose from and most give you convenient access to downtown. You will be there in high season which can play into parking woes. Just ask the B&B when you book whether they have parking passes. I also think that you will get a better rate at a B&B versus the bigger hotels.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

We've stayed in numerous B&Bs all over the US, and love the experience. Since there are few guests, you usually get to know the owners and they, being locals, will be the source of great info on the area. Newport has so many wonderful B&B offerings, too. I'd recommend this route.

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

we have stayed in a few b&b's in newport and at that time of the year...hands down we would stay at the Adele Turner in the Harborview Spa Suite. It is a lovely home, the staff is so friendly and helpful and the food is delish!

The harborview spa is a private deck outside the room, 3 stories up, with a nice hot tub. From the deck (and tub) you can overlook Newport Harbor...it is something special at night. We slide into the tub as soon as we get there and stay there (off and on) until midnight or so...watching the sun go down and the stars come out.

If we stay there, we either bring a picnic to enjoy on the deck or call our for Thai delivery as we wouldn't want to waste a single minute of time that we are in that room.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

Sadly, I goofed! I went with the 'tried and true' method I always rely on and used PRICELINE to book both our Boston & Newport hotels. I'm very pleased with my Boston 'win' but a little apprehensive about my Newport 'win'. I guess I should have went with my 'gut' and tried a B&B.... <sigh>

8. Re: B&B Verses A Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 07:16