We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 26 and 27, 2013

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
May 26 and 27, 2013

Planning to stay for a few days in Newport, Rhode Island, without a car. Suppose to continue my way to New York on 26 or 27 May, 2013. Is there any chance to get from Newport to Kingston Amtrak on these days by public transport?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

There are a few buses every day. Check the RIPTA website. You can also take taxi but its pricey

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

I have checked RIPTA site but it's still not clear. The only suitable bus route is No.64. But it does not work on Sundays and Holidays. May 26 is Sunday, May 27 is the Memorial Day, and it's a recognized holiday of RIPTA. Taxi on Sunday or Holiday? Well, I'm not a millionaire... Any other bus from Newtown to any close train station?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

You could take the 60 up to Providence and get the Amtrak from there....

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

Yes, that could be the solution, thank you!

But now I'm thinking about spending those holidays in Newport rather than in New York. Is it worth it? Any events or shows on the Memorial Day or the Sunday?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

It depends, if you have never been to nyc, I wouldn't pass that up. In Npt, the Atlantic Cup race is going on. Of course there will be plenty of other things going on here and there, being the official start of summer. There will probably be a Waterfire in Providence which is a show.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

http://www.gonewport.com/events-calendar

Looks like some Improv., jazz and do wop. I'd check back again closer to your visit. That website is due for a major re-work for the 2013 season, and I am sure stuff will get added to the schedule.

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

Thank you very much for the info, friends! Up to now I've never been to NYC but I plan to start and finish my first US trip in New York in May, and several other cities in-between. Is there something special on the Memorial Day? How do you celebrate it in Newport?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

Memorial Day is usually commemorated by a few wreath-laying ceremonies, usually in veteran cemeteries or at city or town memorials. It's usually low-key, a speech or two, Taps played by a bugler and maybe a prayer. There may be a small parade in some towns. Most RI families hope for weather warm enough to have a back yard barbeque at some point during that weekend. It's the official start of summer for beach communities, but the truth is the beach season doesn't really take off until mid-to-late June, depending on the weather and when schools finish for the year.

Nizhny Novgorod...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

Thank you once again, got all the info I needed.

10. Re: May 26 and 27, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16