We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

Thinking about visiting Newport for my 50th birthday Memorial Day weekend. Both places are available but not sure which one is nicer? We want to walk around as much as possible and see the mansions, Cliff Walk etc.. maybe rent bikes. Looking for romantic but fun things to do. Any suggestions> Thanks so much!!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

The harbor area of Newport, especially Thames St, is where most people go to eat, shop stroll, etc, although there are restaurants all over town. The Viking would be a little closer to that. The mansions, Cliff Walk and Tennis Hall of Fame are in the opposite direction (if you were walking from the Viking). The Attwater is closer to that. There is free parking at the mansions. Parking is harder to come by closer to the harbor. There is large pay lot at the Visitor's Center and meters lining the streets. I've never stayed at either hotel so I won't comment on them.

Newport is hilly. I personally wouldn't want to ride a bike there. Steep hills and heavy traffic, very narrow roads (many dating from the Colonial era). I just don't think it would be much fun, especially a busy weekend like Memorial Day. If you want to ditch the car (good idea probably) there is a trolley you can buy an all day pass to ride on if you get tired of walking. It makes a loop through the most popular destinations. But be sure to get in your car and do Ocean Drive.

Have a happy birthday! It really sounds like a great way to celebrate.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

I can't comment on the hotels except for that one location isn't better than the other. They are only a few blocks apart. I disagree with Laury though about the bikes. While its true that riding on Thames St. is only fun in the sense that it is a like a video game where you are constantly struggling to not get hit by cars that aren't paying attention to driving while also trying not to hit pedestrians who are not paying attention to walking and step off curbs right in front of you, the rest of the city is great for biking. Many of us find it to be the best way to get around in the summer because the car traffic can be so bad. If the weather is nice a bike ride around ocean drive is easy and beautiful. Pack a lunch and have a picnic at Brenton point or fort Adams, see some mansions, etc. from the Viking it is probably 13 or 14 miles round trip and pretty flat.

Make sure to stop into The Newport Wine Cellar and Le petit gourmet right across from the Viking for wine, cheese and other treats for your picnic.

Also make sure to bike or walk through The Point neighborhood. Quiet area with beautifully restored colonial homes on the harbor and some nice spots to sit and watch a sunset.

You could check out what's going on at the Jane Pickens Theater. They have special events sometimes that might be romantic/ fun.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

Thank you for the information. I decided to go with The Attwater and I hope we aren't disappointed. However, I can change it if something else catches my eye!I think we might rent bikes just for a day but I would like to walk as much as possible! Any other suggestions? I am also thinking about a sunset cruise? Is one better than the others?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

Definitely take a cruise! I have read good reviews of the Adirondack II. Every summer we ride the Jamestown Newport Ferry

http://www.jamestownnewportferry.com/

The advantage is you get to ride any time of day, including sunset. You can tour Rose Island Light if you choose that option. There is inexpensive wine and beer and you can bring your own snacks if you like.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with either hotel.

5. Re: Attwater or Viking for 50th birthday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16