We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The elms- servant life tour

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The elms- servant life tour

When you do the servant life tour do you also tour the rest of the house too?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The elms- servant life tour

As seen on Yelp. "I was born in and practically raised in Newport so the mansions of Bellevue are very familiar to me. However, I haven't toured all of them and when I heard about the Servant's Life Tour at the Elms, this "Downton" addict quickly signed up.

The tour is great. Very affordable and definitely thorough. You get to see the Elms through the eyes of the many staff that ran the house. The tour ticket also grants you unlimited access to the grounds of the house. Beautifully landscaped lawns, gorgeous fountains, tea houses, gardens and more. The Servant's Life Tours have limited spaces so you are with a small group and the setting is informal so you're free to ask as many questions as you'd like.

They offer snacks and lunch items in the carriage house as well as clean restrooms. Parking is free and the Elms is a must see on your next Newport jaunt."

I agree I was recently in the formal gardens out back, they are great, as are the incredible trees, especially walking under the weeping beeches.

florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The elms- servant life tour

No, you do not get to see the rest of the house on your Servant Life tour, that is a separate ticket. It is well worth the price to do both tours, and then walk the grounds. I would allow about three hours to do it all.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The elms- servant life tour

The Mr. & I actually did the Servant's Life Tour first and came back a couple of days later to tour The Elms. In between that we toured The Breakers. IMO seeing the 'behind the scenes tour' first really enhanced our visit to both The Elms and The Breakers. It was a GREAT tour!

Do try to get your tickets early. We got lucky and got the the last two tickets for the last tour of the day. We saw a few people come behind us and they were disappointed because the tour was sold out.

Good luck and happy planning!

Edited: 08 August 2013, 18:35
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The elms- servant life tour

You have to purchase both tours. You do not get to see the house tour with the servant tours. I would recommend doing the house tour first and both tours are worth it! My husband and I really enjoyed both as well as my 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter. So there is something for everyone. I would however recommend at least 90 minutes for the house tour. We barely finished in 45 minutes without doing any of the other optional tours. We would have enjoyed a little more time back in the house after the servant tour. I have seen many of the newport houses and this was one of my favorites.

5. Re: The elms- servant life tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 03:35
6. Re: The elms- servant life tour

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: The elms- servant life tour

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The elms- servant life tour

I also thought the Servants' Life Tour was great, I've done it twice. One additional note, if you're in the middle of doing the tour of the main house and it's time for your Servants Life Tour to start, you can go do the Servants Life tour and the guide will bring you back to the main house tour area when the Servants Life tour ends. Separate tickets for both tours as others have said.

9. Re: The elms- servant life tour

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:15