We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport To do

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newport To do

Hi going to newport in early sept, will the weather be okay? Will be there just half day or so.

Thinking of doing the ocean drive, where is the starting point? ;-)

Cliff Walk - again where is the starting point?

I am not crazy about history, but more about beaches and scenarios. Any beaches to go lay down for 1-2 hours? Good place to eat?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport To do

Sept is some of the best weather here, unless there a hurricane of course. Cliff Walk and Ocean Dr start or end at Bellevue Ave. It's all a big loop. Lots of beaches around, small, large, private, public. Second Beach in Middletown a 5-10 min drive from Cliff Walk area is the nicest big beach.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport To do

Is ocean drive pretty much same as cliff walk scenery wise? Not familiar with Newport and not sure if driving around it would be good idea for me or not.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport To do

No!! They are very different. Actually, Ocean Drive ends where Cliff Walk begins, and vice versa. Drive Ocean Drive, absolutely! There is a breakdown lane so that you can pull over now and then for pictures. Then the end will take you to Bellevue Ave. Off that is Narragansett Ave. Try to find a parking spot along it. It is the location of the 40 Steps of Cliff Walk, a great place to access it. Walk in either direction. The mansions will be on one side, the crashing waves of the sea on the other. When you feel like it, just turn around and head back. The scenery will be very different. I would say this is the absolute minimum tour of Newport. If you don't head down to the harbor and wharves for some shopping/dining/ogling you are REALLY missing out. That is where classic Colonial Newport is.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport To do

Does the drive mark with signs then? I am afraid I am going to do the wrong 10 miles lol and a lot of turns people honk at me lol

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport To do

There are some signs along the way....but just follow the steps listed on the website:

www.oceandrivenewport.com

Meridian, MS
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport To do

this is probably a silly question, but can you walk from the wharves over to Ocean Drive and end up at Cliff Walk or does the trolley go that way?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport To do

No it's not a silly question but that particular trip isn't walkable....unless you like 10+ mile hikes.

A walk from town to the Cliff Walk is a bit more doable, its about a mile from the Post Office Downtown (The corner of America's Cup and Thames St) to the Northern starting end of the Cliff Walk.

Trolleys do head up towards Bellevue Ave and the mansions where you can access parts of the Cliff Walk. The RIPTA trolleys do not head out on the Ocean Drive. Only private tour trolleys go out that way.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newport To do

However, you could walk from the wharves to Ocean Ave via Carroll Ave or Hazard Rd and then go back via Bellevue and Cliff Walk, which would be more like 4 miles or so, and would be a extremely nice walk, especially if you took Hazard out through the wildlife refuge, and then on to Ocean Dr, with a stop at Bailey's Beach (the end of Cliff Walk). You could take the 'Walk' around the cliffs to Ledge Rd which is a stunning section taking about 15 minutes, and then go back to Bellevue, or continue on Cliff Walk past Rough Point, although this is the roughest part of it. Walking back via Bellevue is just as special.

Meridian, MS
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newport To do

Thanks so much! I walk 4-5 miles a couple of times a week so might try this weather permitting...just don't care to do any tours

Meridian, MS
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newport To do

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Newport