We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

biking in newport

Oxford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Topic
biking in newport

A group of us are coming to Newport on Sept 24-27th. Any great biking? Are there any biking paths? Thanks

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: biking in newport

Downtown Newport, along Thames... I'd be terrified for you. Try hard to avoid. BUT I have been informed by experienced bikers that Newport is a GREAT place to bike. Ocean Drive has an expansive breakdown lane that is perfect for bikers. So does Memorial Blvd. Here is a map from Go Newport that has good biking highlighted for you.

gonewport.com/documents/…bikemapnewport.pdf

My only caution is that about half of the drivers at the end of Sept will be tourists who do NOT really know where they are going! Be prepared for the occasional signal-left-turn-right across 3 lanes of traffic. It happens (a LOT!). But if you reach Ocean Drive I think you will be in for the most breathtaking ride of your life! Good luck!

Oxford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: biking in newport

Thanks ....the map is great!!! I am sure we will all love the ride on Ocean drive!!!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: biking in newport

Yes Newport is great to bike around, although some streets have potholes or tourists who don't know what they are doing, but speed isn't an issue. There are so many great side streets too that take you out to Ocean Drive, or around the mansion area, like Coggeshall Ave, Carroll Ave, Hazard Road, and also riding around Fort Adams State Park is a must do.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 01:15
Oxford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: biking in newport

Thanks for your info....I will look into all of them!!!

5. Re: biking in newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Newport