We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day itinary cruise visit

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
one day itinary cruise visit

Hello - we will be visiting Newport for the first time during our cruise . Any tips for how to spend the day and the best way of getting to places. Also directions to the Visitor Centre from the pier . Thanks

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day itinary cruise visit

Hi Anne,

Your tender will drop you at Perrotti Park. Take a left from the dock and the Visitor's Center is right across the street. That's the best place to start.

I would consider taking a guided tour, because that's almost the only way you get to see Ocean Drive, and you should definitely see it. They have 90 minute overview tours or longer tours that include a mansion and Cliff Walk.

You can explore historic Thames St on foot. Shops, restaurants, historic buildings and luxurious yachts tied up at the wharves are the highlights.

If you want something more adventurous on Thames St you can rent scoot coups, little buggies that will get you to Ocean Drive and anywhere else in town you'd want to go. They look like a lot of fun.

http://www.mansionrentalsri.com/#!scoot-coupes/c1h6a

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day itinary cruise visit

Hi Lauryc

Thanks so much for your advice - will look at the tours . I was doing some research and see there is a 67 bus that does the sights. Would you recommend this as a way of seeing the sights . Otherwise any tour companies you can suggest. We will be visiting via a cruise and their tours are horrendously expensive. Looking forward to visiting Newport.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day itinary cruise visit

Anne,

Newport is incredibly expensive!! Just be prepared. I spent the day there with my family today, and we ended up voting to eat much closer to home than to pay those crazy Newport prices.

The 67 bus is OK, but it will NOT take you down Ocean Drive. That is the problem. It will take you to the mansions, and a place to hop on Cliff Walk, but not down Ocean Drive. Since a tour is $25, and the scoot coupe is $50, it's pretty much the same price to see the same place.

My suggestion is to not make any reservations. Go to the Visitor's Center and see what your options are that day. It's off-season, so you have a bit of leverage. Ocean Drive is spectacular, but is it worth what it would cost you? If not, take the bus, tour The Breakers, walk a bit of Cliff Walk, and shop the wharves.You will still have a great day.

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day itinary cruise visit

Hi Lauryc. Thanks for your fantastic advice - was already to do the 67 bus option without realising it did not do Ocean Drive. I think now we will either book the trolley bus on arrival or do a ship tour . If only you could give me the same advice on the other ports we are doing our New England cruise.

5. Re: one day itinary cruise visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Newport