We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

I will be in newport next week with my hubby. Looking for a nice resturant. I like steak, and my husband likes anything from pasta, chicken to seafood. We don't really like fancy resturants with exotic food. Considering these two places. Which do you prefer? Any other suggestions are welcome too! Thanks

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

There are tons of very good, popular upscale casual restaurants in Newport, the two you've picked would be considered more fine dining, especially the WHT, but I've never been to 22 Bowens.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

I've never eaten at 22 Bowens and looking at the menu I would say I'm unlikely to with those prices. Newport as a whole is an expensive place to dine out, but I know I can do better for my money than that.

I'd vote for White Horse Tavern. It's good, not overly fancy or foodie, and has the historic cachet that makes it a special place to have dinner. Almost like eating in a museum. For Newport, the prices are not bad.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
870 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

OK, I'll cast my vote for 22Bowens. I would reserve a table upstairs in the scull room so I had a great view. My choice would be one of their great steaks. They also have terrific seafood entrees. The steak is not cheap but IMHO it's the best in Newport!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

I would also vote for 22 Bowens. The White Horse is a really cool, colonial building with a ton of historic charm but I think the food is better at Bowens. Yes the steaks are very expensive but the rest of the menu is similar or even a little less expensive the WHT. They are both on the pricey side.

For those of you who haven't been to Bowens they do a great offseason three course special with plenty of choices for $20. Runs from November to April I think.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

22 Bowen offers some "typical" steak house options. There are choices of cuts of meat and sizes of steaks. The sides are offered separately, so you can choose what you like. The sides are large and intended for the table to share. The quality of the food is really good, and the steaks cooked perfectly. There are some creative options, but I think you'll find plenty of traditional choices to please you. You may want to order a larger steak and some sides and split everything - just a thought. The staff has always been very accommodating and laid back when we have dined there.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

22 Bowen offers some "typical" steak house options. There are choices of cuts of meat and sizes of steaks. The sides are offered separately, so you can choose what you like. The sides are large and intended for the table to share. The quality of the food is really good, and the steaks cooked perfectly. There are some creative options, but I think you'll find plenty of traditional choices to please you. You may want to order a larger steak and some sides and split everything - just a thought. The staff has always been very accommodating and laid back when we have dined there.

7. Re: White horse tavern or 22 Bowens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:18