We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January weekend suggestions

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
January weekend suggestions

My husband and I are staying in Jamestown for a long weekend at the end of January. We are hoping for a few good restaurants/ bars in Jamestown to spend a relaxing evening close to hotel. I am looking for other suggestions for the weekend and I am assuming I will find them in Newport. I have always wanted to see the mansions. What would be your first choice for just a few? I have read about membership to preservation society is it worth the purchase?The improv theatre looks interesting for sat night entertainment. I am a new englander but have never really visited ri. A winery tour might be good. Any other suggestions or ideas? Good medium priced places to eat?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January weekend suggestions

Jamestown is pretty small, though very scenic, and just 10 min from Npt. Just a few restaurants, one bar the Narragansett, which often have live music-very popular statewide. Two new upscale restaurants, which would also have a cozy bar area, Fish (pricey but great reviews) and the redesigned Trattoria. Two more moderately priced places, and couple a good places for coffee and breakfast items.

Tons of restaurants in Newport- can't go wrong w a Brick Alley Pub for moderately prices, loud and popular eatery. Get a copy of Newport This Week to see what is going on. However, a lot of restaurants take a winter break around Jan and Feb, but plenty will be open too.

If the whether isn't too harsh, Cliff Walk in Newport can be very nice as the sun rises over the ocean there in the a.m., or drive to the lighthouse at Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, or take a drive around Ocean Drive in Newport. Not sure about Winery tours in Jan.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January weekend suggestions

Only The Breakers, Elms and Marble House will be open. I'd consider The Breakers a must see while you are here. If interested in a second mansion tour I have heard good things about the servant's life tour at The Elms. I'd also head to the 40 Steps area of Cliff Walk for a taste of it's amazing beauty. Walk in either direction, then turn around and head back when you get cold. Drive Ocean Drive for sure. Stop at Bowen's or Bannister's Wharf, get out and walk around, see the interesting little shops there.

Jamestown is home to my favorite place to go to breakfast in RI, A Slice of Heaven. The Gran Marnier French Toast is soo good! If you prefer savory, the breakfast burrito is a close second. It's also a great place to pick up sandwiches for a picnic lunch at Beavertail, even if you have to eat them in your car. Ft Wetherill is set along the cliffs... a walk at the top is spectacular. When you enter the park take a left, then a right up the hill to a parking area at the top. You can also see some great scenery from your car.

3. Re: January weekend suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17