We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
First visit

Hello,We are planning a trip in mid October to Newport for a visit.We have reservations at a hotel with a pkg. that includes tickets to 5 of the mansions. My question is would it be better to buy our own tickets and take one of the guided tours,or just stick with the vouchers from the hotel? We will have a rental vehicle so getting around won't be a problem.Looking forward to our visit,and Thank You for any advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit

If tickets are included I would use those. We have done 3 of the mansions. The Breakers, The Elms, Marble House and Rosecliff are all self-guided audio tours, using a lightweight, state-of-the-art and easy-to-use handheld player. Parking is free at each property except Hunter House.

We are driving down there today as it's a gorgeous day here in N.E. Oct. is a great time to visit Newport!

How many days will you be visiting Newport and are your tickets good for the length of your stay? You probably would not want to do 5 mansions in the same day but thats my opinion. You should take your time and enjoy the beauty of the mansions. My favorite so far is The Breakers and that is the first one we visited.

Here is mid Oct. schedule: October 14 - November 21, 2014

The Breakers opens at 9 a.m., all others open at 10 a.m. Last tour admission at all houses at 5 p.m. Houses and grounds close at 6 p.m.

Servant Life Tour at The Elms offered hourly from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

newportmansions.org/plan-a-visit/operating-s…

Enjoy your visit, you will love Newport! Lots of great restaurants there as well. One of my favorite places to visit.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 15:07
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit

October is a great time to visit Newport! There is no choice to be made here: you get the tour with the tickets, so there is nothing to be gained by purchasing the tickets yourselves.

I'd use the tickets this way (if you get to choose):

1. The Breakers not to be missed

2. The Elms

3. The Elms servant's tour

4. Rosecliff, especially if you ever saw The Great Gatsby

5. Marble House

Don't try to do it all in one day! That would just be an endurance marathon. I'd limit it to 2 mansions per day. It's a LOT of walking. Great you have a car! Make sure to drive Ocean Drive. It's at least as high up there as The Breakers. If you're here on a weekend there will be a festival. Might be Octoberfest weekend... check

www.gonewport.com

for information about events while you're here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit

Drove to Newport on Saturday and toured Rosecliff. Traffic was insane as well as foot traffic along Bannister's Wharf and elsewhere in Newport - wall to wall people. It was a gorgeous day, mid 80's so everyone was out and about to enjoy the beautiful day. Parking was crazy as well, parking lots all full. We were mainly going to visit another mansion, as we try to go every year and do one. This was our 4th mansion visit and we chose Rosecliff because we had not seen this one. We loved it! They were setting up for a wedding and the view of the ocean from the ballroom was magnificent! You could feel yourself dancing around the ballroom. When they gave us our headsets they said the tour was about 35 minutes. This is if you do the fast tour and don't take time to check out the exhibits along the way. Each room and hallway will have numbered exhibits and you press that number on your headset to get the extra info on the particular exhibit. Well worth taking the time to listen to the extras. All in all, we took at least an hour+ to do the tour. There is an elevator if you have difficulty with stairs.

I would also start with the Breakers and you will be awed by what you seen. Our 2nd tour was The Elms, then Marble House. Elms Servants Tour was an additional fee but think it would be interesting. We are going to go back in the fall to do another two mansions. I picked up some brochures while there and you can also do a trolley tour if this interests you. Viking Tours of Newport are offering a special tour on Mondays to celebrate their 50 years for $19.62 for Tour 1. Other 2 tours are more money.

They are offering 3 tours:

Tour 1 - scenic overview tour (approx. 1.5 hr.); Tour 2 - Scenic Overview Tour plus 1 mansion visit (either Marble House or Rosecliff) or the Breakers; Tour 3 - Deluxe Tour w/ two mansion choices. Tours 2 and 3 are more money. Tours leave from Newport Visitors Center next to Marriott Hotel.

You can easily do the tour route on your own but won't get any overview about what you are seeing. Think it's a great price for Tour 1. We many go back in the fall and do the tour even though we've been to Newport many times, you can always learn something new.

I agree not to do more than 2 mansions in a day - your brain will be on overload. It's nice to recap each mansion visit after you have completed a tour.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit

Wow!! Thank you all for your suggestions.Our list keeps growing and we are really looking forward to our visit.Glad to know the mid- Oct dates are good time to visit.I'm hoping some fall color will still be around.Can't wait.....

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit

Fabulous feedback! Thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit

bigbluefan - Where did you find a hotel pkg that includes mansions? We are going in July. Thanks for your help.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit

There were two that we considered.The Homewood Suites and The Hampton Inn and suites.I have hilton points that I use so that was where I looked first.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit

Mid-October is peak tree color time in Southern New England.

Tiverton, Rhode...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit

October is a great time to come to Newport. Less crowded, weather still fabulous, and lots of great places to eat, drink and be merry. Cliffwalk and Ocean Drive is a must. Grab a boxed lunch and spend some time at Bretton's Point park (on Ocean Drive), beautiful spot right on the ocean, lots of kite flying, etc.

10. Re: First visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:15