We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Newport

New Milford...
Level Contributor
213 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Newport

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a couple itinerary suggestions for an overnight in Newport. We are going next Tuesday and Wednesday. We live in CT so will probably be here around 10am. A couple things I would like to do, and itinerary will depend on weather:

-Cliff walk: plan to start at Easton's Beach and walk to the Breakers. I have done the remainder of it before, and hear that after that it may be closed still?

-Newport Storm Brewery (we are huge beer snobs so always visit breweries when we travel)

-Gansett tour one of the days

-Walk around Thames street area: have lunch and drinks outside

Any other suggestions? Not really too interested in touring the mansions. Have heard that 10 mile drive would be something good to do as well, but am open to anything.

Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Newport

I think you're referring to Ocean Drive. I just did it today for about the 100th time, and it NEVER gets old. I'd put that at the top of my list. Just a note that there is some construction around the intersection of Bellevue and Memorial. Plan some time or a route around it.,

Cliff Walk from Easton's to The Breakers would be wonderful, as long as a long walk, mostly uphill, is not a physical problem. I think your exit for that mansion would be Ruggles Ave but I'm not completely sure. There is not a direct entry from Cliff Walk into the mansion itself.

I had lunch at The Lobster Bar on Bannister's Wharf today. If money is not a huge concern then I can easily recommend it, especially if you like lobster. The hot buttered lobster roll was a huge hit with our party of 10. Those who did not get lobster were far more tepid in their reviews. The view and drinks are awesome.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Newport

Ocean Drive would be good, on the way you could check out Fort Adams State Park, there's some great views from behind the Eisenhower House. Also along the Drive, you could take in the same awesome view, at Castle Hill resort and have drinks in the lawn in their Adirondack chairs, or at their outdoor bar. Another idea would be to take the ferry from Newport harbor over to Jamestown, where a block up from you could have a beer at the infamous Narragansett Cafe, or eat at one of the several restaurants there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Newport

We just did a mansion tour on Saturday. Never saw so many people in Newport in my life and we go there quite often. Eastons Beach was packed and no parking was available. We were going to get on Cliff Walk there but no spots, all parking lots were full. We went to our mansion (Rosecliff) and parking was free there w/ no crowds. After we toured we headed to Bannister's Wharf area as we were going to go to Black Pearl for Lunch, again no parking. Some lots were charging $30 to park all day! We ended up heading back on 138A and stopped at Anthony's Restaurant because we were starving! LOL It is basically a take out place but there are picnic tables inside and on the porch. We had a nice lunch and headed home. We are planning to go back for another mansion but it won't be on the weekend. Weekdays should be less crowded but good luck!

Syracuse, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Newport

Do the cliff walk, and see the Breakers and maybe one other mansion - like The Marble House

Do the Viking Trolley tour - excellent tour covers the scenic ocean drive and the historic areas - very knowledgeable guide

shop at Bannister and Bowen's wharfs

Do a boat tour out of Bannister wharf

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Newport

Don't think anyone noticed that you said you weren't interested in touring mansions.

If you are going to Newport Storm you might be interested Coddington Brew Pub just up the street (both on Coddington Hwy). The food and beer are both good, though neither are really exceptional. Worth a taste. Also beer snob related...Pour Judgement, Norey's and Malt are all on Broadway and all have really good craft beer selections and food. Norey's has the best selection but also the most expensive...not much under $10. Norey's and PJ also have a good selection of large format bottles.

Cliff walk is still closed past Ruggles Ave.

You should definitely see Ocean Drive. You could stop at Castle Hill for a drink as Hillside said or bring a picnic lunch or snacks and eat on the lawn behind Eisenhower House for what I think are the best views on the island.

6. Re: 2 days in Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Newport