We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People Who Like Newport Like...

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
People Who Like Newport Like...

Hi All,

Last year I proposed to my now wife in Newport by the lighthouse at Castlehill. We spent a long weekend at the Francis Malbone Inn and had an awesome time. We loved the town and explored... the mansions, including the Murder Mystery tour at Beechwood, our small 16 seater boat ride, shops around town.

I'm sure will be back soon...

In the meantime, we are looking for suggestions of similiar historic small towns like Charleston, SC, Martha's Vineyard...

Thanks in advance.

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

This isnt really an answer to your question but more of a "piggy-back".

I was in Portland Maine as a teen and remember thinking of it as a newport -like place. Now we are considering a trip there, has anyone who loves newport been to portland recently?

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

Hey, were you the guy who asked us for suggestions about where to propose? I do remember suggesting to someone last year that Castle Hill would be a great place; as a matter of fact there were a few of us who suggested Castle Hill. It would be nice to know we had a success story.

Anyway, one comparable place, in my opinion, is Nantucket. No great mansions, but plenty of great old homes, history, shops, dining, beaches, etc. We honeymooned there (a long, long time ago!), but have been back occasionally. As a matter of fact, I think we're due for another visit...... In the summer, of course.

Philly
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

I did post asking if the lighthouse was a good site, but I know a month or so after I posted it a few other guys posted looking for good proposal places in Newport.

We were engaged on 10/20/05.

And just married 9/2/06.

We honeymooned in Hawaii (Kauai and Maui).

It was amazing.

Asheville NC sounds interesting...

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

Yes, I went back and looked, and it was someone else we gave the advice to; as a matter of fact, you shared your great experience at Castle Hill as part of that string.

I wondered about Asheville myself and haven't researched it yet. I don't know when you're planning your next trip, but another place I was thinking of going one of these days was Nova Scotia. Obviously I've given you a couple of "northern" suggestions, but I also think that a trip that combined Charlestown, SC and Savannah, GA would be another good suggestion for a more southerly direction.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

The Blue Dory Bed and Breakfast on Block Island RI is listed in the book "100 things To Do Before You Die"

My wife and I stayed there for our 31st anniversary . Very nice ! The slow ferry ride is very nice and relaxing . It's getting a bit cold for Block Island but early spring is a great time to go .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

Kennebunkport, Maine - We just returned form our 3rd visit to this area. We have stayed in White Barn Inn (very pricy) and have also stayed in Bufflehead Cove Inn. I would highly recommend Bufflehead Cove. We stayed in the River Cottage. It overlooks the Cove in a truly bucolic setting. It has a large living area with fire place, very large bath with Jacuzzi, a kitchenette, a bedroom upstairs and a large porch. Gourmet breakfast is served in the main house. The town is very cute with many shops. The town of Ogunquit is also very nice. We had a most memorable meal at MC Perkins Cove. We also enjoy Stowe, Vermont very much. It is a lovely town. We usually rent a home in this area but the Trapp Family Lodge is a very nice place to stay but I would suggest staying in the millennium wing. Among some nice restaurants in this area are the Austrian Tea room and Mes Ami. There is plenty to do. If you are into physical activity, this is the town. My husband I enjoy a pretty rigorous daily exercise routine so we enjoy biking, hiking, running, very much in this town and of course there is skiing during the winter. The rec path is a wonderful place to enjoy exercise and there is a great spa (Top Notch Spa) on Mountain Road. Nantucket is great place to visit as well. I would recommend staying in The Wawinet. It is on the beach, out of town and there are shuttles that take you into town so you can explore. They have a very nice cottage for two on the grounds. Again, a great place to go biking, jogging, etc. The town is quite charming with plenty to do. The restaurant at Wawinet is quite good as is the Jared Coffin House for breakfast or brunch. The Pearl is also a good place for dinner. Portsmouth in New Hampshire is great town to explore as well. A small, small city of sorts with a very nice feel and interesting surroundings. If you want to go south (I strongly prefer New England) there are some nice towns. New Hope in Bucks County is nice as is Wintergreen in Virginia. Wintergreen is a nice base to explore Monticello, vineyards and Colonial Williamsburg. I haven't been there is years but had a very nice vacation experience exploring the area. If you want more info on any of these areas, let me know and I will expound.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

By the way, someone brought up Canada on this tread so I had to add that Quebec and Montréal are great places to visit. For a really great vacation (not driving distance) we absolutely love the Canadian Rockies. This would be my second choice to visiting overseas. If you are interested let me know and I can tell you more about it.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

2firenze: I would love to hear your thoughts on Quebec and Montreal. We are looking for a vacation there some time in the future. But for right now though, I am looking for a drive vacation from New Jersey in mid-May to celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary. Something very romantic. Perhaps a bed and breakfast somewhere like Newport, etc. Never been there. We only have a few days to spend b/c my youngest will be graduating from college in Maryland 3 days after my anniversary, but we have been down that way before and wanted to do something new. Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks.

P.S. To IproposedinNewport -- Charleston, SC is fabulous -- great restaurants, people and the like. I just sent a friend there and she fell in love with it, as we did. But, of course, Kauai and Maui are my favorites -- I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your honeymoon there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

If you are looking for a special anniversary celebration in Newport I would recommend staying at Castlehill Inn. It is a beautiful location and the service and accommodations are top notch. Very romantic and very memorable. The beach houses are wonderful. They are on a private beach with plenty of privacy, a king bed, nice linens, Jacuzzi bath, kitchenette and a deck where you can sit and enjoy the waves rolling in.

Montreal/Quebec:

We stayed at Le Château Frontenac in Quebec. It was very nice. We loved the city very much. It had a European feel and is a lovely walking city with many nice restaurants. We enjoyed visiting the fort, museums and walking along the Lawrence River. Montreal was also very nice. A little more cosmopolitan than Quebec. We stayed at the Ritz, it was centrally located and we had a wonderful time. I would recommend a visit to this region. Lots of great shopping as well.

Newport RI
Level Contributor
140 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: People Who Like Newport Like...

My husband and I spent a few days in Charleton, SC two winters ago, in February. It was charming. Weather was in the 50s/60s and comfortable.

The metropolitan area is much larger than Newport, but we stayed in the old town portion of the city, and walked everywhere (we were at The Planter's Inn--very nice, and pricey but worth it). Great restaurants, interesting historical house tours, good choice of carriage rides to get you oriented, a couple of interesting Civil War sites etc.

We took a day to drive into the country to see a large plantation from antebellum times, and had lunch at the Sanctuary Hotel on Kiawah Island.

Many people mentioned that if we liked Charleston we should also visit Savannah, GA, which has many similarities.

We've been to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard many times; it's become frentic in the summer, is best in the Fall and up to Christmas, but after that many restaurants and attractions are closed. Marths's Vineyard is bigger with more variety and easier to get to.