We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Supermarkets

MY PLACE
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Local Supermarkets

Where would be the best places to stock up on food, outside of Waikiki?

16 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Local Supermarkets

Outside of Waikiki where? Honolulu?

You need to give more information if you want assistance.

There are a number of grocery places - Safeway, Foodland, Costco, Sam’s Club, Don Quixote - even Target and Walmart have groceries. Plus Down to Earth and Wholefoods.

MY PLACE
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Local Supermarkets

Most likely Honolulu. We are staying in Waikiki but want to shop where locals shop

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
175 reviews
3. Re: Local Supermarkets

The places hqsmumma mentions are pretty much 'where locals shop'.

I personally go to a Foodland near me for most of my grocery shopping, sometimes Wal-Mart if I happen to be there for other stuff and just want to pick up a couple food things since I'm already out shopping there.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Local Supermarkets

@hqsmumma basically named them all. If you want something in particular you'll have to post more details.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Local Supermarkets

When I lived on Oahu I shopped at the Safeway on Kapahulu. It was the closest grocery store from where I lived.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Local Supermarkets

Locals shop where the food is. Mumma's list is a good one.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Local Supermarkets

Locals shop at all those places, but Don Quixote is probably the most local from that list. It's kind of an experience in and of itself, it is right next to Waikiki, and they have a legit little hawker market with some really good food.There are other choices, but they are farther away.

Level Contributor
140 posts
8. Re: Local Supermarkets

Agree with Kaeleku....

If you want a great selection of standard American and Asian (primarily Japanese) goods within a huge, recently-renovated store, loved by locals, go to Don Quijote (with a J not X).

A fun experience for a visitor.

Alternatively, for a standard store the Safeways on Kapahulu or Beretania are great choices.

If you want to go upscale, the new Whole Foods in Ward Village is fantastic in every way.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Local Supermarkets

I too shop at Safeway on Kapahulu

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: Local Supermarkets

I like going to Don Quijote at least once per trip.

Good list of supermarkets above. I just want to add Times on Beretania. It is next door to Safeway. I feel Times carrys more local ethnic food than Safeway.

Reply to: Local Supermarkets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted