We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alan Wong's

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Alan Wong's

Would appreciate recommendations for Alan Wong's as far as the best meals. Am open to anything! Also, how are the desserts?

Thanks!

Summer

US
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alan Wong's

Eat there whenever in Honolulu. I think the best restaurant in Hawaii. Understand Alan is a good friend of Thomas Keller of French Laundry fame in Napa Valley. There is a "crunchy bar" for dessert that is very good. Short ribs are outstanding as well as the ginger crusted opaka. Second choice would be Hiroshi in the restaurant row just off downtown on Ala Moana Blvd.

Escanaba, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alan Wong's

Hey Summer:

Just ate at Alan Wong's last Tuesday as a matter of fact, so their menu and our choices are fresh in my memory.

First of all, make sure you have reservations. The sooner you make them the better. And if you have a special occasion you are celebrating, let them know about it. Wife and I were on our honeymoon and they gave us personalized menus to keep as a souvenir, signed by the staff.

For our appetizer, we had the manapua quesadilla, which was chinese barbequed pork and mozzarella cheese. Very good.

My wife had the Maui Cattle Company Beef Tenderloin, which she said is the best beef tenderloin she has ever had. Comes with goat cheese mashed potatoes which she also liked.

I had the ginger crusted onaga, which I really enjoyed.

For dessert, wife had the chocolate crunch bars, and I had what is called "The Coconut". It's a haupia sorbet inside a dark chocolate shell with tropical fruit on the outside. Both were excellent.

Alan Wong's was my wife's favorite meal of the entire trip. Personally, I enjoyed Hy's a little better but would not hesitate to go back to Alan Wong's.

I can see why there are many awards plastered on the walls.

Hope this helps

TG

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alan Wong's

Thanks Travel and TG!

TG~~Believe it or not, you had everything my husband and I were going to try!! Glad you enjpyed it! I have reservations for both Hy's and Alan Wong's and really look forward to both.

Congratulations on your marriage. Hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!

Summer

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alan Wong's

Which Alan Wong's are you asking about?? He has 2 restaurants: a "nicer", more expensive one and a cheaper, more casual one called the Pineapple Room. We LOVE the Pineapple Room!!!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alan Wong's

Was talking about the more expensive one. I did look at both menus and liked that one better.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alan Wong's

Yes, Alan Wong's is great. The nicer one is a LOT more expensive!!!!

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alan Wong's

Hey Summer05,

From this and another thread of yours, looks like you've decided to try Alan Wong's. I think you'll find it great. If you are really serious about the food and can splurge, I recommend the 5-course or 7-course chef's tasting menu. Even better with the wine pairings.

Also, I can't recommend highly enough Nico's at Pier 38 (not to be confused with Nick's Fish Market). Nico's is next door to the fish market, and they serve very inexpensive, extremely fresh, expertly prepared (he has some French training) fish, as well as . Not fancy, not open very late (6 PM weekdays), but very worth searching out (it's on Nimitz Hwy about 2/3 of the way to the airport, near Hilo Hatties). Here's there website: www.nicospier38.com.

Don't know if you are aware of these sites, but I thought you sounded like a guy who enjoys researching his restaurants:

www.onokinegrindz.com - quite good reviews here.

www.hawaiidiner.com - a few good reviews here.

www.anytimegrinds.com - no reviews, some reader ratings, lots of good info.

www.khnl.com (the local NBC affiliate) - they used to have a video segment called "Cheap Eats" in which a couple of whatever is the Hawaiian equivalent of Good 'Ol Boys go out in search of cheap, tasty, filling food. The segments were all archived online and they were a hoot. Does anybody know how to find these now?

www.chowhound.com - to find discussion on Hawaiian restaurants, click on the triangle next to "Boards" on the main horizontal menu. Then look for "Elsewhere in America" in the 3rd column. You have to work for it, but there's plenty of discussion of Honolulu restaurants.

www.alternative-hawaii.com/award/awardo.htm - this shows all the winners of various restaurant awards.

www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php… - this is the portion of flyertalk devoted to dining. Do a search on the upper right for Hawaii, lots of discussion here.

the.honoluluadvertiser.com/section/dining - one of two local newspapers, this has some very good reviews. Look at first link on left for reviews, but there's lots of other dining info here.

Lots of other places I've missed. Of those I've listed, I'm partial to OnoKineGrindz, HawaiiDiner, Chowhound, and the Honolulu Advertiser, but all are worth taking a look at.

BTW, anybody know how to get links to work right in TA?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alan Wong's

Deubster~~

Thanks for the EXCELLENT response! Only one problem----I'm not a GUY who likes to research my restaurants. I'm a GAL who loves to research! (LOL)

I'm a real "foodie" on vacation! Can't believe all of the excellent advice I've received from the Honolulu forum! I am so grateful to everyone!

Summer

9. Re: Alan Wong's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 02:19