We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shark bite??

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada , Alberta
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Topic
shark bite??

Does any one have info on the man who was bit while snorkelling of shore ?where,when,why?what kind of shark and condition of man?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shark bite??

If it's the man from Toledo, he was in serious condition. It was on our local news, but really didn't give many details. He said he punched the shark in the fin and it let go. He was out about 150 ft. from shore.

Ironic that we live in Toledo and will be in Honolulu in 10 days! I don't let that affect me too much. Tha number of shark attacks in proportion to the number of people in the ocean is very small.

canada , Alberta
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shark bite??

Thanks...I love love love to snorkell but running into a shark is one of my biggest fears..funny though..while on land I am scarred/nervous thinking about the possability.. but once I am in the water snorkelling I loose myself in the wonder undewater and rarley feel afraid..just curious and amazed.I once snorkelled hanauma bay for 6 hrs straight..lol. I really hope he will be ok. He must have been terrified!! I am interested in knowing where he was and what kind of shark it was..sounds like a case of mistaken identity to me but who know's.Thank god he was let go.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shark bite??

Here's the story:

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jul/21/…

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: shark bite??

We were all pretty amazed the shark bothered him - they usually show lawyers "professional courtesy."

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shark bite??

ka honu that was tooooo funny! Good thing he wasn't a politician!

toledo,OH
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: shark bite??

I just wanted to post that my husband is the guy who got bit by the shark. We are all pretty amazed at what happened and the whole thing is pretty surreal (sp). It is incomprehensible to us that this happened, but feel very blessed that he is alive and doing well. We are also very grateful to Ray Howell and his willingness to help a stranger. It proves that there are still good people in this world. We had great care at Queen's Medical Center, so if any of you TA junkies, like me, get hurt while on your dream vacation, this is the place to go. We will be returning home on the 27th and then begins the healing and physical therapy. We are thankful for those who kept him in their thoughts.

We did get to snorkel 3 tables on the North Shore, next to Sharks Cove, it was very nice. Sand was pretty rocky, but we got to see some interesting fish. We helped a guy and his truck out of the sand and ate shave ice at Matsumoto's. That place is everything everyone said and more. It was great.

To all those traveling to Hawaii soon, it's a beautiful place and enjoy the tropical sun and the waves.

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: shark bite??

God bless Ray and all of us wish your husband a speedy recovery.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shark bite??

lmillercrew~~Thank you for your post. It is good to know that your husband received good care and is ok. He and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Safe trip home.

Sorry, but it's muggy, cloudy, and humid here. Not exactly paradise!

Summer

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shark bite??

lmillercew, I thank God your husband was okay, but what a "fish story' he will now be able to tell!!! Again, thank God he was okay and those that were there near by to help.

washington
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shark bite??

lmillercew, it was so nice of you to take time to write in this forum. My family just spent a week last month at one lanikai beach house and windward side is surely our favorite. Like you husband, we spend a lot of time snorkeling looking for turtles on lanikai beach. i was so shocked when i heard this news. Your husband was very brave and with positive attitude. I am glad to know that the operation went well and he doesn't feel much pain anymore( read from his interview). I wish your husband speedy recovery. and I wish the best for your family.