We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Escanaba, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Tuesday, July 17:

Wife and I were VERY lazy today... we actually slept in until 7:30 :P

Hung out on the lanai with coffee and the paper for a while before cleaning up for breakfast. We had a coupon for the buffet at Tiki's, which is where we had dinner our first night in Waikiki. The coupon was buy one buffet and get one free. Breakfast was something Tiki's had just started a couple weeks before. The food was okay, but after eating at Duke's the morning before, definitely not as good.

Spent most of the rest of the day lounging by the pool and the beach. Dinner was at Alan Wong's, which most people know from this site is one of the best restaurants in Honolulu. It's on the 3rd floor of an old warehouse, but the inside is really nice. Our appetizer was a chinese pork quesadilla; very good. Wife had beef tenderloin with goat cheese mashed potatoes and I had the ginger crusted onaga. Both were excellent. Dessert was the chocolate crunch bars and haupia yogurt inside a dark chocolate coconut. Our menus were personalized and signed by the staff, congratulating us on our honeymoon.

Wednesday, July 18:

Got up early to go to Pearl Harbor. Wife wasnt real happy with me as she wanted to sleep a little later. We got there about 7:45 and waited in line to get our tickets for about 45 minutes. Got tickets at 8:30 and our tour began at 10:00, so we had 90 minutes to look around. Pearl Harbor is one of those things everyone should probably experience when visiting Hawaii. Very moving.

Wife wanted to go to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream so we did that when we got back from Pearl Harbor. Both of us ended up getting shakes instead of ice cream LOL. Mine was cherry cheesecake, and it was very good. Went back to the hotel room and wife wanted to take a nap. That gave me a chance to check up on the Detroit Tigers (baseball- HUGE fan) for a couple hours and take a nap as well :)

Dinner was at the Hanohano Room on the 30th floor of the Sheraton Waikiki. Views of the ocean and the city are incredible, especially at night. Our appetizer was Pacific Blue Crab Gratin, which is crab blended with maui onion, topped with baked parmesan cheese. Wife had Rosemary Chicken and I went with filet mignon and lobster. Both were good, but I feel you definitely pay for the wonderful views. Dessert was strawberry sabayon. Dinner was disrupted a bit by the bratty kid at the next table. I'll never understand why parents cant control their kids. And what the heck is a small child gonna eat at a place like the Hanohano Room? Not my favorite restaurant of the trip but I would still go back again.

If you DO eat there, ask for Wayne to be your waiter.... 35 years of service and counting. He was a true professional.

Thursday, July 19:

Our final day... neither one of us wanted to leave, but I kept telling my wife how many people NEVER get a chance to go to Hawaii in their lifetime and how incredibly fortunate we are. Not sure she felt better, but it helped put things in perspective a bit :)

Walked over to the new Starbucks on Lewers Street... she had a mocha and I had the caramel macchiato or whatever it is LOL. Had an early lunch at The Cheesecake Factory... I wanted a big meal since our flight would leave before dinner and I knew they had HUGE portions. I believe the wife had a pasta dish and I had the shrimp and bacon sandwich, which was VERY good. Obviously, we had cheesecake for dessert. She got the peanut butter chocolate cookie dough and I got the one with Snickers.

Back to the hotel to pack up and get ready to check out. Called down for a bell man to come get the luggage and have the valet bring the car around. We left the hotel around 2:30 and drove over to Thrifty to drop the car off. Thrifty then shuttled us over to the airport, where we checked in for our 5:10 flight at about 3:30. With the time change, we obviously flew all night. Got in to Minneapolis about 6:00AM Central time Friday Morning the 20th. Got breakfast from Burger King and caught connecting flight into Grand Rapids. Somehow, I managed to drive two hours home from Grand Rapids, though by that time I was running on fumes.

So that's my honeymoon.... never long enough, but filled with memories we will cherish the rest of our lives. I'd like to thank all of you who were instrumental in planning our trip of a lifetime and I hope to return the favor by helping others plan their trips.

Maybe someday, the wife and I will get a chance to go back

Mahalo,

TG

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Beautiful ending to a wonderful report! Best wishes for a happy life together!

Summer

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,686 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Super TG790...so flying out of Grand Rapids was ok then even if it meant a couple hour drive to get home, the money you save on air fare is worth it.

So, when you going back and to which island :)

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Mahalo for the report and best wishes for a long and blessed life together. Love the foor reports. Yum.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

TG,

Thanks for the wonderful reports. Sounds like a great trip.

Hopefully now you’ll hang out with us Hawaii addicts and help others : )

Will you be writing reviews for the hotels and other places? I’d especially be interested in reading more about the Waikiki Beach Hotel.

Best Wishes!

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Congratulations again and good to see you two had an enjoyable time.

That last day on your first visit is an emotional rollercoaster and so many things to sort through in the memory banks.

You'll have to start your list of things you didn't get to this time for your first anniversary trip.

denver
Level Contributor
192 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

What a great review. I'm right there with you on the "bratty kid" thing. As a parent, there are certain upscale restaurants you just don't bring young children to.

Oh well, sounds like you had a nice time anyway. Congrats!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

I have just finished reading your reports. Glad you had a great time. Its seems to be very addictive place, more so after you come back, We.ve been twice, once 11 years ago with boys then 12 and 14 and then last March on our own. Both times we have enjoyed the lazy way of life. Hope to go again next year.

Make s you want to revisit when you read eveyones trip tales. Save your dollars for next trip. Bye.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

TG, thanks for a great report. My wife and I had our honeymoon on Oahu and Maui eight years ago.

Just like you, there was too much to do and see.

We have been lucky enough to return a couple of times, and will be returning to Oahu in seven weeks time for our anniversary.

May you and your wife have a blessed future together, and I hope that you both get a chance to visit "Paradise" again.

Mahalo

John.

Escanaba, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Thanks John, and thanks to everyone who not only read my report but responded as well.

To anyone thinking about vacationing in Hawaii, go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Mahalo,

TG

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report July 17-19 (AKA Part 3)

Great report TG! Now I know why you split it up in 3 parts. I just posted my report. It took me a week to finish and finally post. I've been back for 2 weeks now and am still having withdrawls. There's so much more I wanted to do and/or see and just didn't have the time. I wanted to make sure we had plenty of beach time. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to go back soon :o)