We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

Spokane
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

We are returning for the second time to the HHV and I am curious about what others think. We rented the chairs and umbrellas onsite the last visit. It was really expensive and we would end up leaving after using them for just a few hours. How tacky would it be to buy an umbrella and beach chairs from Walmart and use them and then leave them for future guests? Even at 50.00 for a nice beach chair or umbrella, they would pay for themselves the first few days? Any ideas?

Cananda
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

We bring our own with us, as we have a couple of super light very comfortable beach chairs that I can put over my shoulder so we can hike to out of the way beaches etc and still have a comfortable place to sit. The airlines puts them in a plastic bag and we check them through with our luggage. Be cautions if using an umbrella. Unlike umbrellas some hotels may provide, one you buy at Walmart would not be heavily weighted so if the wind catches it , it becomes a potentially dangerous weapon tumbling down the beach

Spokane
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

You are so right about the umbrella! Wouldn't that be a spoiler!

So here is the 2nd question. When we were there before I believe it was like 52.00 a day for the umbrella and chairs. How much does everyone tip? Another post says that it has gone up to 63.00 a day?

I don't want to be cheap but a tip on top of that makes it as expensive as dinner!!! Thank you for all of your replies.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

If the hotel is renting the equipment, I doubt they want you to bring your own, or leave them for future guests! Kind of ruins their profits :-)

If you are using a public part of the beach, it's OK. As it would be in most condo and apartment rentals.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

Another thought is renting the entire set up but somewhere away from your hotel. Around where they rent surfboards I saw some nice ones, and I think there were more like $25/day.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,141 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

"If you are using a public part of the beach,"

The beach is public. Period. Doesn't mean, however, that the hotel will let you carry beach chairs through their lobby.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

I've been to many beach resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico and most don't charge for their chairs on the beach. $63 a day is ridiculous! I would definitely get my own. We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach last year and just bought a few sand chairs and rafts at ABC, then left them behind when we left. Saw quite a few do that in Waikiki.

Mentioned in this post
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,244 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

Hi kayzfam, I also stayed at HHV last year. The price for hiring beach chairs was a ripoff. After the first day, my wife and I went to Walmart and bought two foldup chairs which could be carried over our shoulder. The price for both of them was far cheaper than to hire one chair for a day.

On our last day, we gave the chairs to a couple on the beach for their use.

Regards

John.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

Yes, I know that the beaches are public., I didn't say that very well. I was trying to explain about getting AWAY from the hotel property if you did want to rent chairs and for a much lower price.

Kelowna,BC,Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

Go to a hotel that has free beach chairs and umbrellas like the royal Hawiian . Can't believe you have to pay at a 3 star property,what next.

10. Re: Buying umbrella and chairs from Walmart?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:19