We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

True or false about turtle bay???

FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
True or false about turtle bay???

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Oahu mid May 2008. I have read the reviews on Turtle Bay, are the rooms really run down or are people just being negative? I understand that its all an opinion.

Next question... Does the coupon in the entertainment book for the Polynesian Center have any restrictions? eg... can only be used monday-thursday?

Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,023 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

I can answer the PCC coupon question.

There are no restrictions except that you have to make the reservations through them. There is no way online to let them know that you are using the coupon, so call them using their toll free number.

800-367-7060

Hint: When you call, have a couple of days in mind. Ask which day has the best seats available for 'Horizons' for the package you want. Make reservations for that day. The sooner you make reservations, the better the seats will be for 'Horizons'.

They will take the $40 off when you get to PCC.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,904 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

You should know that PCC does not serve alcohol or caffeine, as it's run by Mormons.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,023 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

They do not serve alcohol. But, they do have caffeinated products.

From their site:

"Caffeinated Coca Cola™ and Diet Coke™, as well as caffeinated coffee are available upon request."

It is run by Mormons. The proceeds go to help educate thousands who otherwise could not afford to go to college.

I am not Mormon nor do I know any Mormons nor do I know anyone who works at PCC.

I think it is sad when someone has to bring up religion on a travel forum.

Texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

Oh sweet! I had no idea there was a coupon. Thanks! Very helpful information.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

The rooms at Turtle Bay aren't opulent or froofy, but they're actually pretty big and plenty comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Macomb, MI
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

Just returned from Turtle Bay--stayed there because our VRBO cottage #47277 and #71492 were dumps with cockroaches (owner Katie Laing). Our hotel room was nice. They all overlook and are very close to the ocean. Grounds and pool were great, food was not--go off site for food.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

IMO, Turtle Bay is not worth what they charge. It seemed old and in need of refurbishment when we first stayed there in the late 1970's. (We stayed in one of the cottages, which were spacious if not deluxe.) The food was cafeteria quality. We were there over Christmas holidays. It was too cold and windy to use the pool.

Oahu has a problem in that there is little choice of lodgings outside of Honolulu/Waikiki. (Would be happy to learn if that's changed! Love the island, but don't want to stay Honolulu.)

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

If I read ChiSue's post, it seems she stayed in 1970's? Things could have changed since then. Hope someone who stayed recently would post here.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

Turtle Bay, everyone says they want quiet and secluded then complain Turtle Bay is too quiet and secluded. I have never stayed there but it is in a beautiful location, too quiet for us but we like to visit for lunch. It does seem all the rooms will have fantstic ocean views which is the most important thing to us. I think every hotel in Hawaii has gotten complaints about the rooms, sandy feet, wet bathing suits, surf mats- they would have to remodel every three years to keep them spanking new.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
900 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: True or false about turtle bay???

Hey!

I've stayed at the Turtle Bay Resort. We were 4 adults in the room, and it was quite large and comfortable. Nice comfortable double beds. Very large bathroom and foyer. Nothing in the room was run down. I can't speak for every room, but our room was immaculate and spotless. It looked like it had just been build and we were the first guests.

The hotel itself is looked on a beautiful edge of the North Shore, and every room has an oceanview, due to how the hotel was built.

The beach is a bit small, but there is lots of room to walk along the cost. I just isn't beach.

I will agree that I found the rates a bit high for what you get, but the rooms and service were great.

And free parking too!

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI