We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Sushi

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville TN
5 posts
Save Topic
Great Sushi

My hubby loves sushi, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where can we get some great sushi.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Sushi

There are probably 100 sushi places in Honolulu ranging from fast food takeout to very expensive fine dining. What is your preference? Any particular locations (Waikiki, etc.)?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Sushi

Nobu at the Waikiki Parc Hotel. Nobu is one of the great sushi chefs in the world.

Maplewood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Sushi

Hey Sue, I haven't been to the one in Honolulu, but the Benihana Restaurant here in Minnesota had good sushi... here's the link to the one in Honolulu. We plan on stopping next week when we will be there.

www.benihana.com/locator_detail.asp?id=39

Has a link to their menu I believe also.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Sushi

I'm not sure about the Minnesota restaurant, but I have been to a few Benihana restaurants and it's not what I would consider great food. Their main attraction is not the food, but the entertainment value of the teppanyaki cooks. They are to Japanese cuisine what Chuck E. Cheese is to pizza. It's fun if you are there to be entertained by the cooks' shtick. But if you are looking for great food here in Hawai'i with our large Japanese population, there are dozens of better choices.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Sushi

I agree with localmoco, I have eaten at the Benihana in Waikiki, and it is more for the fun than the food. I couldn't remember what I ate and would not go back.

Do you mean traditional sushi or want to try creative combinations? Check out Sansei's menu: if your hubby likes sushi (Sansei is not traditional sushi though), and you want a cooked dish, try their Asian shrimp cake. Yummy!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Sushi

Can anyone from Honolulu gives us some suggestions?

I am going to Honolulu next week and would be interested in an athentic inexpensive (reasonable) Japanese restaurant or store. We, in San Francisco, have a Japantown and we can find anything Japanese (freshly made mocchi, Bento, expensive & inexpensive authentic Japanese restaurants, products from Japan, etc). I was wondering if there was something similar in Honolulu, considering there is a huge Japanese population in Hawaii.

Since I am Korean/Japanese/Filipino and I grew up eating the stuff, I am sort of particular about sushi and Japanese food.

Thanks,

Lucy

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Sushi

The Shirokiya store at Ala Moana Mall is two stories of awesomeness.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Sushi

You can't go far in Honolulu without finding some good Japanese food. There are too many to list. I'l give you a few of my favorites...

Mochi:

- Nisshodo and Fujiya in Kalihi are both popular.

- I prefer Fukuya on King Street near the University. The have very soft chichi dango and the peanut butter-filled mochi is very good.

- For gourmet mochi, check out www.mochilady.com. Their strawberry mochi is the best.

Inexpensive Authentic Japanese Restaurants:

You will probably get a lot of recommendations for the well-known expensive places, so I'll give you a couple inexpensive ones near Waikiki that are very good. I could type for an hour on this subject...

- Jimbo on King Street. Udon is their specialty, but the other dishes are good too. Not a sushi place. Reminds me of some of the small restaurants I've tried in Japan.

- Sushi Company on McCully Street. "Fast food" take-out sushi place. But the quality is as good as you will find in more expensive sit-down restaurants. The owners are from Japan and previously ran one of the well-known sushi chains in town. They also serve a limited selection of bento.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Sushi

Sounds wonderful! Thank you, localmoco.

Lucy

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Sushi

I was just in HNL in December and we hit up Nobu (AMAZING - but it's expensive!!) as well as Roy's. Roy's has rolls, but their focus seemed to be on sashimi, which is outstanding.

I haven't read too many replies to this post, but I read one that said there are probably hundreds...and that's probably true!

Nobu and Roy's are going to be spendy, but if your husband is a real sushi fan, he'll appreciate it. There are many less expensive, smaller places all over by Waikiki too - so just pop in one or two places when you're out for a stroll and check them out.

Enjoy!!

LisaMpls