We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines

I will be traveling to Oahu in September and I'm getting ready to book my flight and their all about the same price. Is there an airline that anyone wouldn't travel on because of always being late or small seats etc. The ones I'm looking at is United, Delta and Continental.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines

I like United. They have never lost my bags or stranded me.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines

You may want to look at taking a flight to the west coast and then booking Hawaiian Air to the islands. We are also going in September from Louisville, but plan to spend a night each way in Phoenix to minimize the jet lag from traveling so far. Even with extra nights hotel, our cost was cheaper than flying straight from Louisville, and a lot less stress on the body? Our flight from Louisville to Phoenix was less than $200 (mine was free with frequent flyer points) and we paid under $400 for flight from Phoenix to Maui, returning from Oahu. Straight flights from Louisville to Maui were close to $900 a piece. Not sure where you live in Indiana, but I've often found cheap flights to LA from Lexington, KY for around $200. Might be worth researching.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines

Being from Indiana,you may do well, by getting a direct flight from Chicago to Honolulu-it is a 9 hr.flight-we just returend from Hawaii-we flew UA #1 ORD-HNL, and returned, Kahului-San Francisco-ORD-the flights allwere on time-surprise-the crew was pleasant-that's all expect any more. I definitely would not fly Northwest.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
878 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines

I generally stick with United and Air Canada as I like to earn points. I don't usually have a problem with them either.

A group of 36 of us went with American Airlines last year, and 21 of us didn't get our bags for 3 days.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines

What do you think about Delta? We can get a flight for Ind to Atlanta then on to Honolulu and arrive at 1:30 for 707.00 Is that a good price or do you think if I break it up I could get cheaper?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines

The direct flights are always better for me. The price sounds good also.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines

Jen, I would avoid back-tracking. Flying out of Chicago sounds like a good bet -- or to any number of cities in the West that have Hawaiian Airlines flights. Consider Las Vegas ...

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines

I would look at the following issues to help you decide:

Total length of travel time with connections.

Price

Airline quality ratings - service, baggage handling, etc. (however, they are all really about the same, except Hawaiian which seems to get better reviews).

The type of airplane and seats you will have (use seatguru.com for comparisons).

Other in flight benifits - drinks, food, movies, music, etc.

On time rates (go to flightstats.com for info). For example, Northwest's Minneapolis to Honolulu flight is late up to 50% of the time, especially in the winter. Important would be to check the on time status of your flight from Indiana to the connecting hub. If that is late you might miss the flight to Honolulu.

If you have frequent flyer miles with an airline, that might benifit you with a chance for an upgrade, or earning a lot a miles on this trip for future trips.

Then weigh all these issues and decide which are most important to you. For example if price is most important take the cheapest, or if time is key take the shortest.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines

I use United exclusively because they have the best schedules, connections and services...

They are the only airline to offer and extra 6 inches of leg room..in their economy plus seats..which on a 9 hour flight are not just good but necessary.

It costs more.....unless you buy a 350 12 month pass for economy plus...which is good for 2 persons flying together....otherwise figure $200 per person each way...thats $800 rt for 2 if you had to buy it without the pass.

Now....first Join Uniteds milage plus club..free

next get the credit card

....United is also offering their credit card.. with no fee..and 25000 miles just to sign up. and 1 mile per dollar spent..... get the card, (25000) buy the tickets (800 miles) Buy the pass with the card ( 350 miles) You now have 26,150 miles... but wait...when you fly you to Honolulu you will have earned 9500 more miles !...you now have 35,650 miles....which is good for a free ticket to Hawaii next time.

Have your spouse get a seperate card and do everything but get a second economy plus pass...

and you will have 2 free trips.........and oh I didnt mention charge your whole trip on the card for even more miles....

From Ind. United will be your best carrier... from the west coast also.....heck the best coach going form anywhere

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines

hi we are flying delta in sept. from north carolina.

we also flew with them last year and flew to atlanta and then on to honolulu it was excrutiatingly long..........this year we are flying to salt lake city and then on to honolulu which will break up the flight we will have an 90 minute layover so we will be able to stretch our legs and grab some food we will get into hnl at 3:pm last year it was 8pm so this is much better.the other option of flying into phoenix could be an option i saw some dirt cheap prices from charlotte on ata and northwest like 200.00 dollars and the fly hawaiian to hnl.check kayak.com they will give you all the prices for the different airlines and they include the taxes and fees.we used airmiles last year and had enough for one more ticket this year the other one cost 660.00

i booked it in december.you don't have much leg room in coach which was the worst part this year after we finalized our ticket i just kept checking back on the delta site and was able to get 2 exit seats on the flight from salt lake city to hnl and then hnl back to atlanta.good luck

aloha marie