We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wv
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Hi all - My husband & I are flying into the HNL airport from Kona for one day on Oahu (arriving around 9am, departing 6:50pm). We hope to visit USS Arizona @ Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and maybe shop in Waikiki Beach. It's a full day, but want to get opinions on renting a car for the day, or taking the bus? I see the bus stops at all 3 places, but how long will this take? Will this allowe time to go to all 3 places, are we dreaming?! I heard it's cheapest to rent a car, but my husband is worried about traffic in Waikiki/parking. Any advice on the bus lines??

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Rent a car.

In one day you can go to USS Arizona, National Cemetery of the Pacific, Tantalus, Aloha Tower, drive through Honolulu historic area including Chinatown & Iolani Palace, drive around & into Diamond Head crater & stroll through Waikiki.

If you want to climb Diamond Head it will take about 30-40 minutes up, 10-15 minutes at the top & 20 minutes down.

You can park in Waikiki at the Honolulu Zoo parking lot for $.25/hour maximum 4 hours.

Fort Worth, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

I had a very similar schedule when I visted Oahu. We took a taxi from the airport to Pearl Harbor. We then took a bus from Pearl Harbor to shopping in Waikiki Beach. Then another taxi from Waikiki back to the airport. We unfortunately did not make it to Diamond Head but you should have plenty of time to catch a bus or taxi there if you plan accordingly...we ended up just killing time by people watching in Waikiki when our $$ ran out ;)

I can't give you a price comparison for a rental, I would imagine that we spent just as much on taxi fare, but I will say that it was MUCH easier than hunting for parking everywhere we went.

I'd go with public transportation, Honolulu has major highways and traffic which could be tough to navigate if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

I was in Oahu last summer and proudly took the bus. I was traveling alone and found it surprisingly easy and affordable going from one bus to another. I stopped by an information booth along Waikiki and they gave me a bus reference guide from Waikiki to popular attractions around Oahu. I actually still have the guide. Bus lines 20 and 42 go to the Arizona Memorial. Lines 22 and 58 go to Diamond Head Crater. If you don't know where to pick up a bus, just ask a local. They are really friendly and are always willing to give a helping hand. Your places of interest are all in the same general area- meaning it should be easy to go from one place of interest to another, in a reasonable amount of time. If I remember correctly, Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor are the furthest from each other, with Waikiki somewhere between the two. The only thing is bus lines can be unreliable and not show up on time. It's possible that you might be waiting for a bus for 15 minutes or half an hour or so... and with a plane to catch, this could be a bit nerve racking. Hope this helps.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Rent a car. We took a bus once and it took us quite a while to get around.

wv
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Thanks for the tips on the bus lines and car. My main concern, if we rent the car, is trying to find my way around in all the traffic. I don't mind taking the bus, but I worry about waiting and possibly missing out on some of the activities. Does anyone know when/how to avoid local traffic, or any tips on driving in Oahu that may help me? Parking at the zoo - what a deal! Thanks a bunch!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

Only one day ... rent a car. Get a good map!

7. Re: One-Day in Oahu - Rent a car or take the Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:17