We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
38 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines

Can anyone tell me if this is true. We are flying Hawaiian Airlines from Sydney to Honolulu and I have been reading that you have to hire earphones to watch the movies.Are Hawaiian a really low budget company like Jetstar and Virgin where if you want to get even a cup of coffee you have to pay. Many thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

You do have to pay $5 for earphones. I believe they will also rent a personal DVD player for $15 - different earphones, but you can get a splitter so two people can us the same DVD.

I think they still give you the first beverage free, though I can't remember for sure. You have to pay for food, as on many airlines nowadays.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

we flew from LA with Hawaiian Airlines, and you had to pay for everything. Obviously, this was a domestic flight (about 6 hours) so I don't know for sure what they do for long haul, but it would probably say on their website? Also, I had earphones from my MP3 player that fit in fine, and apparantly the ones you had to buy really hurt your ears anyway!!!! We may have got soft drinks free - not sure - but had to pay for all food.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Paying for headphones is one thing but surely you don't have to pay for food on a flight that long?

On the other hand, I didn't know the Irish airline (Aer Lingus) was a budget airline but when I flew them last month I had to pay to check my bag (the same size I would carry on in the US) and pay again to reserve a seat!! Plus pay for soft drinks, pay for food ... and couldn't bring the coffee (that I bought in the airport behind security) on board with me!

Everybody is getting cheap these days.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

As of two weeks ago Sacramento to Oahu and back in coach:

Ear phones $5

Digi Players $15

Snacks (movie theater kind-candy, twizzlers, keiki snack pack) $? - forgot how much

Alcoholic beverages $? - didn't pay attention

Lunch & all non-alcoholic beverages FREE

Allentown...
Level Contributor
819 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Dollar store earphones work just fine. If only has one prong, only one ear will work. I keep them for any plane I travel on.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Kauai No Ka Oi is correct.

Lunch was free, as is sodas, water, coffee etc. They came around quite a bit to offer beverages throughout the flight.

Alchohol was $5, credit card only.

We recieved our headphones for free because our flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours. Come to think of it, that was a bit cheap on Hawaiian's part. We reused our headphones on our way home and the FAs didn't say anything.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Kauai No Ka Oi is right ---

Hawaiian Airlines is cashless -- so you can only use credit/debit cards for earphones and such. The earphones are $5.00 -- and they usually don't bother to pick them up ... so bring them along on your return flight. The steward didn't charge me ... I don't know why.

They have overpriced junk food they sell. The meals and coffee, water, soda are free. Compared to other airlines, Hawaiian seems generous. And they have plenty of blankets and pillows.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

molly3- I flew from Honolulu to Sydney and back in Sept 07. Food and non-alcoholic drinks were free. I used my own headphones because I had the adapter. It was worth it because they played 3 movies. They also came around quite frequently offering coffee and water.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Bring your own earphones or earbuds.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian is not a low budget airlines like Virgin Air. I think it is one of the best around U.S. I fly a lot and usually take Hawaiian on Las Vegas jaunts because their service is usually better than the others and they give more than the other big boys like United and American.

All the above posters are correct - FREE coffee, tea, water and soft drinks and a snack. You need a credit/debit card for the extras-earphones, digi-player and alcoholic beverages.