We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport/Pearl Harbor

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Airport/Pearl Harbor

I've read that Pearl Harbor is not very far from the Honolulu airport. How far is "not very far"? if we have to use public transportation to get there?

My husband and I are coming to Hawaii for the 1st time and will be on Kauai for 5 days. Our flight to leave Kauai leaves that island late in the day and then we have a 2 hour layover in Honolulu.

I'm starting to wonder if we should move up our flight out of Kauai to much earlier, get to Honolulu earlier, and see Pearl Harbor before we fly back home. I'm not sure how much time to allow for seeing the memorial or if this is realistic or not. If you can share with me any tips/advice about how long the travel time would be and how long we might need to see the memorial and get back to the airport, I'd appreciate it. It may be best to stay in Kauai that day and drive around to other parts of that island, but I thought this would be worth investigating a bit. Thanks!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

You can take public transportation to Pearl Harbor. The only thing is that tickets go fast for the tours so if you are not there early in the morning, you may have to wait most of the day for your tour.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

If wanting to visit the USS Arizona Memorial you'll need to arrive BEFORE 3p.m., which is when the last program of the day begins. There isn't time after to visit anything else, so plan your day accordingly.

Last April we visited during mid-week and arrived right around 3p.m. They had just finished handing out tickets for the last tour, and luckily there were four tickets left. Definitely arrive earlier to make sure you get tickets.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

Been there twice. Both times all the tickets had been handed out for the day.

Get there early.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

Thank you for your replies. I didn't realize they handed out tickets for the day and that tours ended at 3. I am not sure it would be worth it to rush to get off Kauai and then still not get tickets for Pearl Harbor b/c they were out. A good excuse to come back in the future!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

You nailed it, Lee! Come back and spend a week on Oahu! A trip during your layover would be dicey for several reasons.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

Last week we arrived at 8am and waited in line for an hour to get our tickets. Our ticket time was for 12:45. So we were kicking ourselves for not arriving even earlier to avoid a lot of that waiting.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

Mtngrl, Thanks for telling me that. I had no idea it would be THAT busy and you would need to actually get there before 8 a.m. There's no way I'm going to rush off of Kauai my last day there---the whole point of our picking Kauai is so we can truly relax for a few days. We have a toddler who will stay with my parents, so the thought of not having to chase a little person or worry about naps, messy meal times, etc. means a lot to us. We'll just wait a few years and hope we can return to Hawaii when our son is older and all go to Pearl Harbor together. As much as I want to see it, I don't want it to be a difficult experience that stresses us out just trying to get there.

8. Re: Airport/Pearl Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:29