We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

Simi Valley
2 posts
Save Topic
Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

My wife and I are planning a trip to Honolulu and I am trying to find a nice hotel(4 star+) which is beachfront with a nice pool and close to nightlife/restaurants(walking distance if possible). Thank you for any input/advice

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

Here are some great options:

1) Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

2) Royal Hawaiian (closed for renovation currently)

3) Westin Moana Surfrider

4) Halekulani (5 star and beautiful)

These all have nice pools, but the pools in Waikiki are not quite as extravagant as other places (due to a lack of space). Outrigger has Dukes which would definitely provide the nightlife. These hotels are all located near each other and there are several options for dining/nightlife nearby.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html - A good map

#1 Halekulani. Great location, gorgeous mid-size pool, renown food services.

#2 Royal Hawaiian and/or Moana Surfrider. Both are vintage hotels, totally restored with added tower rooms (ask for a tower room!). Great location, views, food services. The heart of Waikiki. RH is closed until Jan 2009 for renovation. So classic - you will love them.

Nightlife is closeby and easy to find.

Outrigger Waikiki -- OK. Lots of posts lately about internal and external noise. Cheaper, and frankly, not as classy as #1 and #2.

Simi Valley
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

Other postings I had seen on Moana Surfrider had indicated the hotel was a bit run down and old(smelled/broken fixtures etc.). Is this true or only in the older sections of the hotel?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

The Moana SURFRIDER (there are lots of Moana-named places) has been very recently renovated. It changed from a Sheraton brand to a Westin - but they are all affiliated. The original building (built 1901, I believe) has rooms of various sizes, some balconies, smallish baths, ocean front room are SO close to the surf. The Diamond Wing has larger rooms ... views aren't so great and had moldy smell problems before renovation. I prefer the tower rooms - great views, better baths, cool balconies, etc.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

i am just checking rates for moana surfrider, they seem expensive compared to the outrigger..is it worth the extra? i am celebrating my 50th birthday and way back in jan,feb,march..i read awesome reviews on the outrigger, now i am reading different things....any other opinions out there? outrigger or moana surfrider?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

Kiwi -- The Outrigger is OK. Not as classy as the Moana Surfrider. But there is no reason why you can't go next door to the Moana Surfrider and look around ... shop ... have a drink and some pupus under the Banyan tree. Free music and hula in the evenings.

I think the Moana Surfrider's prices are artificially high because the Royal Hawaiian is closed until January. Look for AAA discounts or Starwood discounts at the MS ...

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

thanks for the great advice..we will stay at the outrigger, and check out the moana for drinks

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,567 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

The best deals on the beach are the Outrigger Waikiki and Outrigger Reef, but they are very average hotels.

The Moana Surfrider is a classic, old hotel with lots of charm and the Halekulani is simply the best hotel in Hawaii.

Between the Moana Surfrider & Outrigger, I would choose the Moana everytime, even if it cost more.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki last summer and are staying again next month. What I didn't like about the Moana Surfrider was that it didn't have as nice of a beach area as Outrigger. Our first room had loud neighbors and I asked to move. It was done immediately, no problem. It's not a 5* resort, but none in Waikiki are. Halekulani may be a 5* hotel, but is not a resort. For the price I paid, the Outrigger was great. I'm more interested in friendliness, cleanliness, and location when I'm in Hawaii.

Summer

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolulu Best Hotel Beachfront/Centrally located

Summer, we Ohioians must have the same thoughts! We're from Oregon, Ohio- Anyways, we've stayed at the Outrigger and are going back next April because we thought it was great- clean, great beach, friendly, etc. We enjoyed the music from our balcony- we stayed in an oceanfront room and the view was spectacular, everything I had dreamed of ...

We planned on Waikiki as being the fun, party type atmosphere and it was. Afterwards we went to Maui- it was definitely quieter there!