We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
74 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

Hi all,

Thanks to Priceline, got a great rate at the Hyatt Regency -- we'll be arriving on 7/22 (fingers x'd). I've seen posts on here that implied getting upgrades was easy. What's the best way to handle this? Simply say, "How about an upgrade"? Should one specify the type of upgrade requested -- i.e., "How about an upgrade to the Regency Club/ocean view room/free breakfast", or just say the word and hope for the best?

Is it possible to request specific perks, such as free parking?

Tourism is down, for sure -- I read it in the honoluluadvertiser.com. That's what emboldened me to go on Priceline in the first place.

Any insights? Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

I FAX the hotel a couple weeks in advance and let them know that I would like an upgrade. Be CLEAR that you want a free upgrade. (Learned this the hard way.)

Fingers or no -- don't hold your breath. My educated guess is that Priceline guests are toward the end of the upgrade list. Frequent users of the Hyatt will go first and others that pay higher prices.

Can't hurt to try! Good luck!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

if you are an elite member of Hyatt then you chances are excellent........However, buying form price line for a large discount to begin with you dont stand a chance.

The logic is simple...it would be counter productive

to the hotels future and repeat business. It would promote the wrong message and hurt future room rates.

Even in a down market this would be not wise for a hotel to do....sorry

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

I would be surprised if a Priceline Name Your Own Price bid got an upgrade. It it's regular Priceline, maybe no worse than through Expedia or Orbitz, not sure.

The thing about Priceline, too, is that you already paid in full and you can't get a refund, sooo. there's not much incentive for them to pile on freebies, is there? It's not like you will cancel and go to the place that gives you an upgrade. They have you!

I would either contact them and ask for a price quote on an upgrade, or show up and see what they give you unasked and then ask what it would cost.

If they're motivated, they should make it cheaper than it would normally be. If they aren't, oh well.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
74 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. TripAdvisor never fails.

I named my own price all right, which I guess makes me a complete cheese. I plan on sewing the scarlet "P" (for Priceline) onto my bathing suit first chance I get. ;)

Still plan on asking at the desk, though. What can they do -- toss me to the sharks? The Hyatt isn't <that> close to the beach ...

Only ten more days pre-aloha --

Sylvia

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,556 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

It never hurts to ask....

In Hawaii friendliness, compliments and a "special occasion" (honeymoon, anniversary etc.) seem to produce the best results rather then bribery (the infamous "$20 trick") or wheeling-dealing attitudes.

An "awww gosh I'm in Hawaii at this awesome hotel for my wife's birthday" demeanor may get you an upgrade to a better view or higher floor as available, but don't expect any true freebies like the Regency Club (which costs them money) and/or parking (one of the hotel's most profitable departments).

Don't know when you got the room via Priceline, but suspect it was when there was great concern from early April to mid-June on how the summer season was going to pan out. And, with 1,234 rooms to fill every night they had to pursue every avenue.

But, things jave been pretty good for the Hyatt Regency Waikiki in recent weeks compared to many Waikiki hotels; almost like old times. Their "flash reports" showed they were effectively sold-out three times in the last week. So, they may not have a lot of vacant rooms available for upgrades by months end.

Good luck, and make sure to eat at Teddy's Bigger Burgers.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

I hope you didn't think I was knocking that you named your own price -- that's how you got a great rate! The Name Your Own Price does stick you into the lowest category of room, though, IIRC.

I have yet to see a hotel desk deliberately stick someone in the worst room; they seem to want you to have the best experience they can give you although of course everyone is ranked by what they actually paid for.

I mean, if you show up and they have low occupancy, they won't stick you somewhere bad just because they can. But a smart hotel would wait to give away freebies until the day of ... when there is little likelihood of renting that oceanfront high floor room.

I was thinking to myself if I were management I would generally give upgrades on freebies that are fixed costs, like rooms, not on free food ... and amberloo said as much. Giving away food adds to their cost. Switching you to a better room that was not taken doesn't.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

They may offer to SELL you an upgrade. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

FYI -- yes, the Hyatt is close enough to the water to throw you to the sharks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

At the hotel I work at (on Kauai) we charge for upgrades...you get what you pay for. If we just upgraded everyone for free, no one would pay the higher rates for the better rooms, which is not effective for the hotel.

However, I will admit that if myself or one of my associates likes someone a lot, we might give them a free upgrade. Sometimes I want to laugh at the fact that EVERY single person is on their honeymoon and asks for a free upgrade (and then proceeds to complain when they don't get it b/c it is their honeymoon). But if the person is REALLY nice, I will sometimes upgrade the person out of the goodness of my heart.

If you do ask at the front desk for an upgrade, just say "Do you have any upgrades available?" not "How about an upgrade?" At that point, the front desk person will either quote you a price based on the rate and occupancy, say no, or will give you one for free.

Also, I have found that if you call in advance or if you REALLY want the upgrade, write the GM a letter telling him/her how you are so excited to stay at the property and celebrate your birthday/anniversary/first time in Hawaii/whatever, you are more likely to get an upgrade, than if you ask at the time of check in. Although you paid through priceline and hotels generally treat guests better when they pay direct (they receive more money), you still stand a chance!

Good luck and malama pono!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
74 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

Hi again and thanks once more --

amberloo, I booked this room on 6/27.

KamaiinaK, your comment about not giving guests the worst room possible makes sense.

We'll gently inquire re upgrades, of course, but as one poster pointed us, they've "got" us.

I look forward to the experience whatever happens.

Mahalo,

Sylvia

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Upgrade-How to Request??

hey MarO,

very cool to hear how it works from someone who actually makes those decisions. Thanks, I will keep it in mind!

I try to book hotels direct through the hotel website or on the phone, so good to know the hotel likes that.

I usually book the lowest class room I can be satisfied with, and it they have something better, wonderful. If not, I'm not bummed.

My husband recently booked a couple nights in Honolulu and booked ocean view on the highest floor ... the occupancy was quite low and I thought he over-spent as we might have ended up there anyway ,,, in fact, I have had a similar room in that hotel having booked less.

But he didn't care; he just wanted what he wanted ... which is also a fine approach, to decide what you want and then make sure you get it by paying for it.

I'm truly amazed that honeymooners don't book the rooms they really want. I mean, spending all that money to come, and then just hoping for an upgrade and not getting it, and having that affect your honeymoon?