We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stupid shuttle question?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
stupid shuttle question?

Whenever I travel, I always rent a car at the airport, but I won't be doing that this time. I have never taken a shuttle to a hotel before - do I need to book it ahead of time or are they available on the spot?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stupid shuttle question?

For Waikiki hotels they are available right outside baggage claim. No need to prearranage. You just walk out to the Ground Transportation area and the busses will be right there. It's ~$10 per person. The driver takes a list of which hotels people need, then makes a loop including stops at each of them requested.

IF you are 2+ people together, a taxi is not that much more ~$30. No need to prearrange that either.

Ground transportation from the Honolulu airport into Waikiki is extremely easy.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stupid shuttle question?

This question comes up all the time, so consider a search or scroll through the past couple months. Bottom line is this:

Shuttles - most are Roberts bug busses. Cost is about $10 per person. The shuttles take their time, because they want to fill up before heading to Waikiki. Sometimes they wait and wait at stops and often pick up large groups. Then they make several stops at Waikiki hotels - which takes time also. Personally, I would skip it. We tried it and just sat on the bus for way too long. There may be smaller shuttle vans, but I have never seen them and don't know their prices. Super Shuttle - the blue mini-vans that you see in alot of large airports do not operate in Honolulu. I wish they did.

We take a taxi to our hotel. They are lined up right outside of the luggage area, and there is an attendant to help. Cost is about $35 to Waikiki for the cab - not per person. There is no need to reserve a taxi.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stupid shuttle question?

We have just arrived home from 2 weeks in Hawaii and had pre-arranged our airport pick-ups before we left. Our flight from Maui was cancelled by Hawaiian Air but no information was shown on their departure screens our flight no. just disappeared entirely! On arrival in Honolulu over two hours late our Roberts Transfer was nowhere to be seen and as it was after hours we could not reach them on the phone. Hawaiian Air would not help as they didn't feel it was their problem. We ended up catching a cab which we should have done in the first place, there was four of us and it cost US$40.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stupid shuttle question?

Lady -- I hope the rest of your trip was better than that!

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stupid shuttle question?

Our holiday was fantastic though we did have another problem with one of our other Hawaiian Air flights when we first arrived, there seams to be a lack of information and organisation on the ground when there are delays, once on board they are great.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stupid shuttle question?

When Aloha and ATA went out of business, to too long ago, Hawaiian took on a very heavy load. No surprise that they has/have some problems.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stupid shuttle question?

Thought that the collapse of Aloha Airlines may have had some bearing on our experience but would have been a lot happier if we were given some information on what was happening, we were left wondering and unsure whether we were even going to make our destination that same day, thankfully we did on both occasions though many hours late, precious time wasted feeling very anxious in airport lounges. This thankfully was soon forgotten once we settled into our hotels and started to explore our wonderful surroundings.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stupid shuttle question?

I can't believe that anything pre-arranged could possibly be easier than simply walking out of the airport, to the ground transportation island, and catching the next taxi or shuttle.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stupid shuttle question?

As Hawaiian Air had nothing up about our flight being cancelled indeed our flight number was totally wiped from the screen as if it had never existed, we do not blame our arranged pick-up for not being there to meet us, as we arrived 2 hours late on a different flight and if they looked on the screen to see what had happened to our flight they would have been left as much in the dark as we were.

A little bit of information goes a long way.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stupid shuttle question?

We also arrived around 8.30 - 9.00 pm at night, the staff outside the terminal were helpful in trying to direct us to another shuttle, we waited, none came ( didn't seem to be too many of them at this time of night ) so we jumped into the cab.