We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

New Zealand
Level Contributor
721 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Would love to do this as we have been married 29 years. What a way to get married sun/surf/sand!!

My concern is - Is this ceremony lovely or a bit gimmicky?

Also another silly question - do you wear shoes/sandles on the sand/water?

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Sparkle~ Below you will find a segment from my recent trip report re: this ceremony. I would absolutely recommend taking advantage of this wonderful service. I think everyone wore sandals there...and then took them off (a suggestion from the ceremony coordinator) as it was easier to walk/stand in the sand barefooted. Let me know if you have other questions. Here's my blurb from Aug. 5:

I had read about a Vow Renewal Ceremony offered by the Outrigger Waikiki and Reef and thought this might be something to do in honor of our 20th anniversary. My husband was up for this (and our sons were willing to get up early enough to join us as well.;-) So at 7:45am, we journeyed up to the Reef beach and were very grateful we did. This lovely Hawaiian deacon – who works for the Outrigger – set the perfect tone for this occasion. She was gracious and genuine and full of Hawaiian spirit. This morning became one of our favorites! (…only followed by a favorite of our sons ~ a full-on breakfast at Denny’s across the street!!:-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

The beach is very nice outside the O/Reef. But one suggestion...I would plan on breakfast at the Shorebird Restaurant inside the Reef Hotel because it is right on the water and has a fabulous view. It is a breakfast buffet and you can get discount coupons in the local tourist publications. Regular pice is about $12 per person.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Does anyone know if the Outrigger make any exceptions for non-resident guests of the Outrigger? We'd love to do this ceremony with our 4 children in attendance but unfortunately we're not staying at the Outrigger as the cost was too great for the 6 of us.

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

I have also been wondering about this ceremony. I am interested in doing it because it sounds special and beautiful. But my husband and I are only celebrating our 1st anniversary. Would it be silly for us to do??

north
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Hi all

When I stayed at Outrigger Waikiki Shore October 2007 I had the chance of watching this beautiful cermony twice. 6-8 couples, some had been married

1 year and some 40 year and everything in between. Even with 8 couples everyone got the chance of feeling that they where unique. It was a mix of Hawaiian tradition and ordinary wedding tradition. It was also a mix how people was dressed so don´t worry about that , do what feels best for you. Everybody also got time to give each other their own weddingvows. As an spectator it was very beautiful and romantic. Go for it.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

On the morning of our ceremony, there was a couple celebrating their 2nd anniversary -- I wouldn't think it silly to renew your vows on your 1st anniversary at all. Hey... you're in Hawaii and should experience the loveliness of this Hawaiian memory as well. Go for it!!

...and to clarify a bit... we didn't exchange our own vows, but simply echoed a beautiful Hawaiian prayer prompting us to "fall in love all over again." We were asked, however, to exchange "something" with our spouse. (most people exchanged leis)

The ceremony lasted for 15 min. with photos to follow.

NYC
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

As for the question posted by Search, according to their registration form, the vow renewal ceremony is complimentary for Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki guests.

I have a question about the photography during the ceremony. Will there be a photographer taking general pictures of the participants before, during and after the ceremony? Did anyone buy the pix and what is their pricing? I hate to pay $20.+ for one 5x7, but they get me every time (I can't resist not buying for memory's sake!).

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Kukuinuts ~ First off, I smiled when I read your name as the "gift" we exchanged during the ceremony were the Kukui Nut leis we received when leaving the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They just represented such aloha spirit and great memories that we wanted to share these with each other. (Now I have our 4 Kukui Nut leis displayed around our home so I can lay my eyes on them often:-)

Sorry, I digressed -- on to your question... There is a photographer who was there as a service to those who wished to have a more formal remembrance of the ceremony. I believe he offered a package deal -- DVD and photo book for maybe $75??? Not quite sure as our teenage sons recorded and took lots of pics for us.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

BTW ~ We felt absolutely zero pressure to purchase this photo package. It was made clear that the ceremony was a complimentary service. i.e. ~ The hotel was not trying to backhandedly make money here.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vow Renewal Ceremony at Outrigger Reef

Twink whereabouts is the actual ceremony held? I e-mailed the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and they sent me an e-mail back saying they had sent my e-mail on to Outrigger Reef on the beach so would I be correct in thinking it is out the front of that hotel? I am crossing my fingers and hoping they make a teensy concession for us not being residents. Our biggest concern was our daughter is in a wheelchair and the other wedding vow renewal ceremonies are held at other places on the island so we would have had to arrange transportation which would make it difficult for her. I would be happy to pay for some photos seeing as though we had NONE at our wedding! Does anybody know if it is good quality photography?