We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

I am about to book my airport transfers, we are staying at the Halekulani and we will be arriving after a horribly long flight fron the uk and it will be after 10pm when we arrive.I thought i would treat us to a limo transfer rather than haul ourselves and all our luggage over to a taxi queue so my first request was directly with the hotel and they have quoted me $368 (for a round trip) plus $15 per lei plus tax if i want the driver to lei us on arrival, the Halekulani use a company called Hawaii Chauffer Services (yes they spell Chauffeur wrong! not a good sign)

So then i did a search in this forum to see if any other companies were popular and i found ABC limos and i looked on their website and the price for a round trip including 4 leis in a super stretch (because we will have a ton of luggage) is $150 (i assume tax will be added on top but i'm not sure) This just seems an unbelievable difference, can anyone tell me if they have any experience of the company that the Halekulani use. I do have a very fussy husband who will definately not want to be getting into a shabby old limo (he will hate the limo anyway but our daughters will LOVE it!!)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

If you do not find any relevant threads on the Oahu forum (if you search there are some on limos, I remember them but not details) post another questions saying "best limo" or something. There are often big diffs in prices for transfers recommended by a hotel versus others...in Paris the differenc ebetween the Park Hyatt's offering and the one our Bruges hotel arranged was 400 euros ($600US). I would be surprised if Halekulani did not give you leis on arrival at the hotel.

Of more concern--there was a post the other day about noisy construction at Halekulani and what otehr hotels to try. You might check on that.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

UkDeebee, UK ..... here is what I can offer.

Halekulani at one time had their own limousine service provided by independent contractors. Since the opening of the New Halekulani, the limo service was discontinued and HSC was contracted. You're paying top dollars for your hotel room and you will pay the price for limousine transfers provided by the hotel. The Halekulani only provides late model sedans for their guest. A van may be requested.

ABC is legit and $150.00 round trip with leis is very good. The going rate for one way limousine transfer is approx. $70.00 and up, lei's, tax and tip not included.

Both companies operate late model limousines. What consumers don't know, when walking by a hotel lobby the next time, take notice that the hotels will not use shabby old cars. Hotels that have taxi standing by, will not have cars over five years old. This is a requirement that was started some years back when negotiating for a new hotel contract.

My suggestion to you is that you make your own limousine contact. Don't go through the hotel concierge. They will charge you high when you can get them cheaper. If you need help, I will provide you with a couple others, upon asking.

Good luck,

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,184 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

Link to ground transportation from Honolulu Airport including limos.

…hawaii.gov/dot/…hnl_ground_trans.htm

808 is Hawaii's area code & isn't toll free

For the companies that you might be interested in, Google them. They might have their own website or toll free number.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

Hmmm, I'd "haul" my luggage (is it truly all that much?)... the taxi line is right outside baggage claim. It's only ~$30usd for a taxi directly to your hotel. There is normally no wait, couldn't be easier.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

First, I'd take a taxi too, how much luggage are you bringing????

But,, since you asked, of course your hotel is going to refer you to a expensive company,, its an expensive hotel and they will take their cut ,, thats how referrals work. A taxi is 30-35 bucks .

So if hubby doesn't want a limo,what does he want, why would he hate a limo??

I really don't get why you will have a ton of luggage, all you need is swimsuits and sundresses.. Hawaii is super casual. I do think you should do your own research and book your own car, and not stress over how old it is,, that seems to be a bit odd, I mean I thought you were taking a limo for convenience and for the extra space for your luggage,, not to be posh?

Anyways, no way would I pay almost FOUR HUNDRED ( tax and TIP) dollars for that limo.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

Heck , what am I saying, it will be well over 400 dollars!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

I have used Jay's Limousine service 3 times now. A round trip transfer is 100-125 plus tip. I have been very happy with them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

Last trip my taxi WAS a limo!! Granted an old one that had seen better days, but still.

I can't see spending so much just for a ride in from the airport. And (agreeing with the above) it is no surprise Halekulani is recommending an exorbitantly expensive service and I can't imagine why you'd need more than one suitcase for a beach vacation.

UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

we will have one medium/large sized suitcase each (hubby, me and two teenage daughters) Also we will have one cabin bag each because after a 2 hour journey from our house to a london airport followed by a minimum of two hours wait at the airport for our flight followed by an 11 hour flight to san fran then a five hour wait for our connecting flight to honolulu then a 5 hour flight to honolulu i think we might need a freshen up or a change of clothes at some point during that journey!! Plus i dread connecting flights because so far every vacation we have done involving a connecting flight has resulted in someones bag going missing, so i like to carry a few essentials in our cabin bags (even worse they lost all our bags on a connecing flight from miami to the turks and caicos islands) However maybe that gives you a bit more of an idea why i would love to see a friendly face holding a card with our name on it who will lift our tired spirits by placing a sweet smelling lei around our necks and whisking us off to a waiting vehicle, i think my brain will be beyond functioning at that point and yes if you want too call it posh then i think i will be ready for a bit of "posh" we have a saying in england that "first impressions count" and i really believe that is true, i was once picked up by a really miserable taxi driver at Edinburgh airport (in Scotland) and to be honest with you he started my holiday on such a downer that it really ruined my trip (maybe i'm too sensitive) And when i say my husband will hate the limo i guess i'm being slightly "over the top" using the word hate, he will think its a bit naff (is that a word you use in america?) slightly silly and over the top! but he will love our girls faces (so secretly he will like it because it makes them happy!!) Anyway from the minute we touch down in Hawaii i want everything to be fabulous, thats why i love using trip advisor, its my way of researching and trying to make everything as stress and problem free as possible, i guess we all use it for different reasons, some people are looking for the best bargains, some people are looking for the most amazing views and experiences off the beaten track some people want the best restaurants and others just want to find the best transportation and i think that none of us want to feel ripped off!!! Thankyou for all the constructive comments i really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incredible difference in transfer prices!!

UkDeebee, I totally understand you wanting to arrive in Honolulu after such a long trip and to be met by a Chauffeur to take you to your lodgings.

We travelled through the islands in August, my husband and I and two teenage daughters and after a cancelled flight back to Honolulu from Maui, we arrived two hours late on a different flight at 9pm at night to find that our arranged transfer was no where to be seen.

After failed attempts to contact our transfer company and no help from Hawaiian Airlines and feeling very tired and frustrated we took a cab to our hotel in Waikiki.

Our cab cost us US$40 plus tip so other posters who have quoted $30 may not have travelled recently.

As for the limo companies I would take the advice as already mentioned to post a question on Best Limo Transfers.

As for the Lei greeting, we stayed at Hyatt's on each island and Waikiki was the only one we didn't receive a Lei upon check- in.

Good luck with your search, hope all goes well.