We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Traveling with my 13 year old daughter and wanted to find the cheapest way to get to our hotel.

Our hotel doesn't have shuttle service, so they only two options I can think of would be to rent a car or take one of those Airport shuttles that drops 10 billion guests to each of their hotels & just by luck yours happens to be the last one.

Figured if I have to pay for two people on for the Airport shuttle both ways (we are staying 2 nights), it might come out cheaper to rent a car for those days, can save myself some travel time.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Nicole

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Cheapest way is to walk ... lol

For $2 each you could take "The Bus" (bus 19 or 20) which would be a little over an hour to get to Waikiki. Luggage might be an issue, I do not think they allow much on the bus.

Before you rent a car check the parking prices, they may be more than the rental itself.

In the emd the shuttle may be your best option. You can check with them to find out what their route is.

U.S.
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Hi Brighton Bill,

Thanks for the advice. Haven't checked out the rates for a car or the parking space. Would you happen to know off hand how much they average a day (most economical).

Thanks,

Nicole

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

You can probably get a car for 20-25 a day.

Parking will depend on where you are staying, figure 15 to 20 a day or so though. Your hotel may have parking if so you can check their rates.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

where are you going to stay??

Kelowna,BC,Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

What are you going to do in two days?If you just want to hang at the beach and walk the strip then

take a taxi and save yourself every minute of time in honolulu.

On the other hand if you want see all you can see in two days rent the car as the price will probably work out very close.We take a cab from airport to ROYAL HAWAIIAN FOR $30-$40 which is about par for waikiki delivery to hotel.

Have a great trip and rember that the cheapest isn't always the best route.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Rent a car the entire time. You can see the island much better with a car.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Parking rates at some of the Waikiki hotels:

travel-hawaii.com/waikiki_hotel_parking.html

If you are on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, you can park at Resortquest Waikiki Banyan for $10/day/

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

The cheapest way:

well you can't really walk to Waikiki!

take The Bus

use a shuttle and be patient

take a taxi

It depends what you want to do onh the rest of your trip, if car rental for the entire time is a good value or not.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,728 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Look at startaxihawaii.com

They will take you to or from the airport to any hotel in Waikiki for $30 or less. I have not used them from the airport to the hotel, but have used them several times from the hotel to the airport. Always have had them be prompt and dependable.

This should be a little cheaper than a regular taxi which can run $35 plus depending on time of day and traffic.

You already know the downsides of an airport shuttle. Renting a car for two nights would include the rental charges as well as parking depending on where you are staying. Parking can run as high as $30 or more at some hotels but some people have found place cheaper but are sometimes a walk from you hotel. Quite honestly, if you don't feel you need a car while in Waikiki, I would just take a cab. No hassle of trying to drive or find where you are going and probably a little cheaper than renting a car if you can get Star Taxi.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

we took roberts hawaii..nine dollars one way to any waikiki hotel..they will be outside the door where you pick up your luggage..we bought a return ticket for 18 each..

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest Way from Airport to Hotel in Waikiki

Took me 15+ trips to Honolulu to catch-on (with the help of TA): Absolutely ditto the advice of placebets.

You will save yourself $'s by renting a car only for the day or two you need one; there are probably two dozen convenient Hertz/Avis/etc locations in Waikiki.