We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Taxi for 5

Louisiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Taxi for 5

We are beginning our first trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks. We are a family of 5 so we will need a mini van sized taxi for all of us and our bags. Will there be taxi vans readily available at the airport with no reservations or will I need to make reservations for them?

Thanks in advance!

hlndancer
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

Last we had 7 of us and used ABC Limo (great reviews on this site!). IT cost about $75 one-way to our hotel which was close to the zoo. This year 5 of us are going and it seems a shuttle is $9 each and stops at hotels along the way. We are just going to go with the limp again. It is much more convenient so worth the extra price in our opinion.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

No problem. There is a taxi stand just outside of the luggage pick-up area. The taxis come in ALL sizes (including mini-vans) and there are plenty of them. Also, there is an attendant at the taxi stand who will help you.

So, no - you don't need a reservation. It will cost about $35 for the trip from the airport to Waikiki. If the drive is helpful (i.e., doesn't ignore you the whole trip while he chats on his cell phone or helps the bellman with the luggage) a tip would be in order.

Our experience has been that when you reserve a taxi - you end up waiting for them.

Again, family-size groups are common in Hawaii ... no problem.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

Thank you! I definitely don't want to do a shuttle, my nerves will already be shot having been on such a long flight with with my 3 kiddos (and a husband who could qualify as one at times), so I know I won't have the patience to stop at 20 hotels before getting to mine. I'm sure that when I get there I will be really disgusted with myself for not getting the limo. I've heard some serve alcohol and lord only knows I will probably need a coctail or 2.

Thanks for the replies!

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

fraphappy .... a mini van will not accomodate your family and all the luggage.

When you are done in the baggage claim area, walk outside to the sidewalk, look for a person with yellow or a green shirt on with the wording "TAXI DISPATCHER" on the back and tell them you need a taxi to accomodate five people plus the luggage. The dispatcher will determine what type of vehicle you will need, depending on the number of luggage you have.

The average fare will be approx. $40.00 (depending on time of day) plus luggage charge.

Hope this helps ....

Louisiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

islekane -- yes, that does help a lot. Thanks so much for replying.

We are *trying* to travel reasonably. We will have (or I plan to have) 4 pilot cases and one large one, and each of us will have a backpack. We can each hold our backpack on our lap in the taxi, but each suitcase will have to go in the back, obviously.

6. Re: Airport Taxi for 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:18