We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental problems in Honolulu

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental problems in Honolulu

Be careful about "cheap" car rentals in Hawaii. I reserved a car two days in advance from Thrifty's in the Ilikai Hotel. I asked for a car with a trunk as I'd be carrying all my luggage for the day. My request was ignored; I was given an SUV but it had tinted glass so I didn't mind. I asked for a child seat but they forgot, so I had to drive back and pick it up; Not a big hassle. But my big complaint was the car only had half a tank of gas when I picked it up. When I returned it, I put in gas back to half a tank. but they expected me to fill their tank to full. My contract clearly said "outgoing fuel level as Half" so why should I fill it up for them? When I showed the contract, they printed up a new contract which had mysteriously changed to "Full". They waived the charge only after I raised my voice.

The cost was $34 + $12 for child seat and $30 surcharge for returning to the airport.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

sounds to me like you could have avoided a headache if you had done a bit more due diligence...

1) check that you had the seat

2) pickup and drop off from the same location

3) You had the contract showing half a tank so no harm no foul.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

you're right about #1; I should have checked for the seat before driving off but isn't that their job?

I'm not complaining at all about the drop off surcharge.

And regarding the fuel, my complaint is that they issued a revised contract showing a different fuel level then they expected me to fill it up, not just the fuel I used.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

unfortunately AL we have to re-check and double and triple check these days -- simply trusting ( the gas issue) is not enough any more in my opinion to insure we (the honest, attention to detail people we are) are not gonna get cheated -- I am not saying these things happen all the time but I have noticed that with everytyhing to do with business if you are not super cautious something almost always comes back to bite...

sorry for the annoyance with the car --

happy travels..

Francine

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

Thanks for the warning, we'll stay far away from Thrifty's ! ;'[]

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

Like OneLove said: "unfortunately AL we have to re-check and double and triple check these days"

It isn't just Thrifty, and it isn't just rental care, it's everything. I'm sort of surprised that you aren't more travel savvy, Al. You will be now? Chuck...

6. Re: Car Rental problems in Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 14:45