We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

santa monica
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

when we were on the north shore we could not wait to stop for lunch and have shrimp....so we stopped at romy's......if you want to pay alot....this is the place....$2.50 for a small fountain soda.water...prices just as bad!..and the prices are just way too much...I felt ripped off...I will never go back there again.....in this this economy this place really needs a reality check!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

Quincy,

Did you like the shrimp? I love the shrimp there and that is actually a very great deal but I agree with you on the sodas. It wasn’t always that way. They use to charge about $1 for a can of soda and a large cup of ice but in 2008 they got this soda fountain. And they have the smallest cups I have ever seen, no refills!

When I wrote my trip report in October I specifically warned people about the sodas and suggested that everyone take their own. That is what we ending up doing after the first visit. We would take own soda.

Did you tell them how you felt about this?

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

Last time we were there, we had the pound of their cooked prawns with the sauces... Thought it was a pretty good deal for fresh cooked....

Sodas... well, I would bring your own or stop in at the next store.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

BTW, airfare from the Bay Area for July/August is currently running about $850...

$2.50 for a soda is more than I would WANT to pay normally, but all things being considered.... MAYBE not as bad as it seems.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

$2.50 for a can of pop! In the States they call that a scam/gouge..sad.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

Pago, Hawaii IS in the States.

That price is pretty crazy but, really, restaurants here in Houston charge almost that much for a coke (soft drink/pop/whatever). Granted, in includes refills, but this is Hawaii, the land of the mark-up we're talking about...

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

We always bring our own drinks. There's a convenient store right down the street from Romy's and we usually stop there first. Get a 20 oz Pepsi's for $1. No big deal. We only buy what they specialize in and that is : SHRIMPS!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

Well, as good as those shrimp places are, they're all kind of expensive....to me. Yes, $2.50 for a soda, and $10+ for a plate of shrimp and some rice! At least with a plate lunch at most places, the prices are getting close to $10, but at least the portions are huge!!!

8. Re: Romy's north shore..costs too much....for so little..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 07:19