We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I made a mistake coming in December?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
644 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Have I made a mistake coming in December?

I've booked for 10 nights in mid December. I'm reading forum posts that this is the rainy season for Hawaii. Should I change my booking for another time of the year? I'm travelling from the UK so don't want to make the wrong choice coming all that distance.

I've been previously in January and also April with no problems, but as it's a special birthday for me in December, husband and I thought we'd celebrate the occasion in style.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
326 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

We go to Hawaii every 2 years and the weather is generally perfect. However, we went to Honolulu and Maui in early December 2006 and it rained everyday. These were not light showers and they did not clear up after a few minutes. They lasted all day. On Maui, the hotels lost their power temporarily until the generators kicked in after a storm blew in on the south part of the island. For me, I would not return in December.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

Its really hard to say, I ve been to Oahu in November, December, and January, with some weeks being rain free and warm, while other weeks were cool, windy and rainy. If you have the option of traveling other times of year, and coming all the way from the UK, I would opt for a different month.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

I don't think you made a mistake. Although winter (November through March) is the rainier season, the temps are still nice and most days are warm and sunny. Here is a link to a chart showing average temps and rain in Honolulu:

weather.com/outlook/…

The best part about going to Hawai'i in the winter is that the weather is so bad back home. We only go in the winter and usually only see 1-2 days of rain during our 10-14 day trips. The other nice part of going in December is that the crowds are less as long as you leave before the Christmas holidays

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

We were in Hawaii mid-December 2008. Had one day or rain. The rest of the days were wonderful. Even rainy days will be alot warmer than Liverpool!

The average rainfall for Honolulu for the month of December is 2.85 inches and the average high is 82 degrees with an average low of 68 degrees. But - it can rain ... which I think is fun, coming from California. I posted a Honolulu/Oahu trip report, dated December 24, 2008.

And it's Christmas! The city is beautifully decorated. Come for your birthday and don't worry!

Betty Lou

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

Heck no - you haven't made a mistake! December is the prime month to watch the big wave surfers on the North Shore. If you're lucky, your visit may coincide with a contest or two. Also, you get to see all the Hawaiian-style Christmas decorations, Honolulu City lights parade (Dec 5, 2009), and Christmas shopping. If you are looking for unique and inexpensive souvenirs, look for craft fair advertisements during your stay. You'll often find the same stuff the stores are selling but at a huge discount because you are buying directly from the crafter. A lot of local food manufacturers also sell at these fairs so you can get your cookies & jams & stuff there too.

BTW - don't assume that by switching months you can avoid the rain for such a short trip. A few years ago Kauai was almost completely rained out during February & March.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

There is no guarantee whenever you come. One Halloween, we got flooding rains. I would say that Feb/March are the raniest though and probably the months I would avoid.

Hawaii does have a winter season. Storms do happen and more frequently in the winter. That said, I love Hawaii in December and the weather really does beat almost anywhere else on the planet!

7. Re: Have I made a mistake coming in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 23:17