We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Mexico City
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

The rates are comparable. Hawaiian has better times from Phoenix, but I believe they ceased operations for a while last year. Any opinions?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Don't much about USair but as far as Hawaiian

Pros

Best chance of being on time becaue they just go back and forth

You get a meal

It seems more Hawaiian, they show Hawaiian videos

Cons- They have this horrible luggage policy $25 for first checked bag

Also as far as ceasing operations, don't think that was Hawaiian, Hawaiian made record proftis last quarter and is financially strong.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Hawaiian Airlines is an award-winning for quality service and being on time. We have used them out of Sacramento and are very pleased. Hawaii is their specialty.

Is this an actual U.S. Airways flight to Honolulu -- or are they code sharing with another airlines?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Hawaiian airlines is a great airlines - I would always pick them over another airlines heading to Hawaii. Aloha airlines is the once that ceased operations - not Hawaiian. I believe Hawaiian air used to have the best on-time flights - not sure about that now.

As well, once you are on their planes, you feel like you have arrived in Hawaii - enjoy! :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

We flew Hawaiian from Seattle--loved the free food and Guava juice!! Service was good and I know this sounds cheesy..but I just like the authencity of it as for US Airways I have nothing good to say about them and I have flew with them many times..

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

We've often found it significantly less expensive to connect through Phoenix than flying United from Denver and agree with all that has been previously posted. However, speaking as two lowly coach flyers, the #1 advantage Hawaiian offers is that it uses wide body (2x3x2 seating configuration) Boeing 767's. US Air's 757-200 is a single aisle 3x3 aircraft; tolerable on the flight to Hawaii, but leaving much to be desired, in terms of restfulness and privacy (such as it is on a plane) on the night ride back to the mainland.

More information/illustrations @ seatguru.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Price and routing being equal, Hawaiian is the better airline IMO. You get food, everything's "Hawaiian" once you get on the plane, TV/video programs about the islands, magazines, crew, etc.. I love it because it feels like you are ON vacation right from the start.

US Air has done OK for me from Seattle/Puerto Vallarta on many occasions. Steady,consistent, but boring and ordinary, certainly no "aloha" flavor.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

In My opinion, Hawaiian is much better than US Airways./\[]

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

My husband and I both got an hawaiian airlines visa from Bank of America 6 months before we went on our honeymoon last may.We didnt have enough points to use them but will this next april. At least for an upgrade!i agree with other posters. You do feel like you are on vacation right away. I really like that airline. I get us to la from Denver and take hawaiian from there. Id choose hawaiian if possible!

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

We live in Tucson and are flying to Maui this November. For a second or 2, I considered flying on US Airways out of Phoenix. US Airways bought out America West Airlines a few years ago.

Well, they didn't call it America Worst airlines for nothin'. Totally incompetent. Lost & damaged baggage all of the time. Rude employees. You name it, US Airways has tons of problems.

So even though US Airways is cheaper, we're flying on Hawaiian out of Phx. Plus, we have 2 children (ages 13 months & 3 yrs), so I flat out refuse to run the high risk of sitting around waiting for hours and hours for a rickety airplane to take off...only to find the flight postponed by 24 hr or totally cancelled because of maintenance problems.

Hawaiian Airlines hands down. in my opinion, totally worth the extra $$/ticket that we're paying to fly on Hawaiian.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian airlines vs US Airways

Hawaiian Airlines did not stop flying, and for my money it is the best out of Phoenix. We have taken other airlines, and since flying Hawaiian, we haven't chosen any other airline. Their flight times are "inconvenient" out of Phoenix and back into Phoenix, but arrival and departure into HNL are GREAT!!! They fly 767's which are configured 2-3-2, and they feed you (not gourmet, but certainly passable). Only Continental will feed you besides Hawaiian