We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Hi - My DH & I are staying in Oahu for 5 nights, then we're off to Vegas for a few days & fly back to Honolulu on a Thursday morning for our connecting flight back to Sydney in the afternoon. Is there anything that we can do in Honolulu for 6 hours that is worth foregoing during our original 5 night stay to leave for this 6hour window?

How long does it take to get from the airport to city centre?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Nat ;)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Pearl Harbor. If I remember correctly it is opposite direction from Waikiki leaving the airport. The tour should take you about 2 - 3 hours with taxi time. Of course it could go much faster depending on the lines. After that you could grab a bite and some drinks. If you don't like Pearl Harbor, 6 hrs is plenty of time to bus it over to Waikiki for souvenirs. This way you are not dragging souvenirs with you all the way to Vegas. You'll also have plenty of time to eat, drink and take a dip in the water.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

You can stroll Chinatown/Aloha Tower area. Iolani Palace is not far.

Go to USS Arizona Memorial while you are on Oahu for the 5 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Hey!

We're doing a very similar trip next June! Haven't been to Hawaii yet, but you will LOVE Vegas! This will be our 3rd trip there :)

I was checking out the flight times over the weekend and wondering the same thing about killing the 6 hours in between flights. Look forward to seeing some of your responses.

Sorry to ask a question in a question, but did you book your own flights with Hawaiian airlines or through a travel agent? The rates are pretty cheap at the moment, I'm hoping they stay that way until next year.

Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Hi Miss Ellie Lou – We booked through a Travel Agent (just over the phone/email though – never went into the office as we’re in Qld) – TravelWorld in Campbelltown (I think). It couldn’t have been any easier!

I can’t remember the exact cost off the top of my head, but it was ridiculously well priced & we just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to include Vegas as well (we were originally just doing Hawaii).

If you have any tips on Vegas, I’d love you to message me. We’re only there for 3 nights, & I just want to include absolutely everything!!! Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

=)

Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Sorry…

VacationDude & Dusty – thank-you very much for your suggestions!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Take into consideration the time it takes to check in and out, security, late planes, boarding times and such. You will have much less than 6 hours. I would check the bags, grab a cab and go to the Aloha Tower area for a nice meal, browsing and fresh air. All things considered, I doubt that you would have time for Pearl Harbor. See that during your 5 night stay. Understand that Pearl Harbor ... well, they ferry you out to the Memorial. You are at their mercy - not a good place to be in a hurry.

Or you could have one last shopping fling at the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

We're not sure...dh=designated hitter? Sounds pretty good??

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Your timing would be great for one of our favorite activities: a Helicopter tour. We've enjoyed many in Hawaii, including two over Oahu and it would afford you a totally different, and beautiful, perspective of the Island.

Unless there are unusual weather conditions, all the full-Island tours take a counter-clockwise path; you'll first go right over HNL, proceed to Waikiki, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Makapuu Point, the uniquely colorful windward waters (with highlights including Rabbit Island, Lanaiki & Kailua beaches, Kaneohe Bay and on up to Chinaman's Hat), the beautiful North Shore, Dole Planation and ending with a grand finale of Pearl Harbor...all in less than one hour.

There are a number of companies offering Helicopter flights; we've used Paradise @ Turtle Bay and Makani Kai @ HNL, but last year the #1 company in Hawaii - Blue Hawaiian - initiated Oahu service. As I recall, we paid Makani Kai a little over $200, but Blue Hawaiian currently has an internet special for $191 and it includes the much more comfortable Eco-Star (BH's website includes a comparison of it & the commonplace A-Star). Also, BH has reasonably priced videos of your actual flight.

I believe Blue Hawaiian could shuttle you to their office from HNL (have emailed to confirm). I'd guess that round trip would consume approximately 2 1/2 hours including the commute, pre-flight intro, tour and DVD processing.

If interested, here is a link to Blue Hawaiian's website:

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/oahu/video/

Oahu, Hawaii
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

Hey Nat,

It depends on what you like to do. To answer your last question first, on a typical day it will take you 20 to 30 minutes to get from the airport to downtown Honolulu. However, if you are coming back from town to the airport between about 3:30 pm to about 6:30 pm, then you might double that amount of time.

If you like shopping and you've never been to this place before, go to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. It has some of the best shopping in the world (and technically its the largest outdoor shopping center in the world - its outdoors, but doesn't really feel like it). You could stroll down through Waikiki Beach and shop, eat and many different types of restaurants, and just have a grand look at this world famous beach.

You could do Pearl Harbor like someone suggested. It is the #1 place visited on the islands, believe it or not.

Depending on when you layover time is, you could possibly do a luau at Paradise Cove over in Ko Olina (opposite direction from airport, in Kapolei, west side of the island... but about the same amount of driving time from airport). You could spend your whole time out there. Ko Olina is a beautiful, tranquil place to visit.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

10. Re: 6hr Stop Over in Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 06:18