We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
70 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Is there any way to get to Hanauna Bay except driving (I did not rent a car so far) or buying a tour?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Well in my notes I have ,,catch bus 22,buses run every hour and the beach is closed on a tuesday.

Think the bus fare is like $2.

Thats what I plan to do

I hope thats right LOL

New Zealand
Level Contributor
721 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Dont go on a Wednesday as we had to wait in a line in the hot hot sun for 40 minutes before we could get in. I am told its like this every Wednesday as Tuesday is shut. There is also an entrance fee, but cant remember how much. Have you considered Sharks Cover for snorkeling?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Do yourself a huge favor & rent a car on Oahu. By the time you pay for shuttles, cabs & buses, you will not have saved any $$ by taking public transportation. Plus you will have spent hours of your precious vacation time on or waiting for public transportation.

Bus fare is $2.25 now. Or 4-day pass is $25.

http://www.thebus.org/pop/beaches.asp

www.thebus.org/Route/HTMLversion/r22.htm

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Take The Bus. So easy ... and get there early in the morning.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Going by bus is easy. If you go by car, and if it's really crowded and the parking lot is full, they won't let you in!

Yeah, unfortunately, it's all changed now, and they monitor how many people go in there now. They let you in at groups at a time, and then you have to watch a little video before they let you in. So I'm sure if it's really crowded, they'll probably make you wait to get in. Also, since you can't feed the fish anymore, it's not as easy to a lot of fish. Before, all you had to do was step in the water and you would see tons of fish! Not anymore. You have to swim out a little bit and even then, you might only see one or two.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

I know you can get there on the "beach bus". I happened by accident to be on one when I was just going across the length of Waikiki. I think it was the 22 as mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Thank goodness the fish at Hanauma Bay are actually acting like fish again. You don't get a feeding frenzy that actually had some people getting bit!! Research has shown feeding fish not only is NOT in their best interest(what self respecting fish eats cheeze-wiz), the reef was also suffering. Controlling and educating the masses about the fragile eco-system that is Hanauma Bay will hopefully some day save it.

Mentioned in this post
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

"Do yourself a huge favor & rent a car on Oahu. By the time you pay for shuttles, cabs & buses, you will not have saved any $$ by taking public transportation."

Is this true? I took buses the one time I went and it toko me anywhere I wanted to go, including PCC on the north shore. $20 for a 4 day pass seems like a lot cheaper than a rental car for that time period. The only time we took a cab was to go to Hanauma Bay because it included all the snorkel gear for us.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

Dusty likes cars. She has some great drives, too.

But most of us only really need a car for a day or two - and then The Bus does the trick for the rest of the time. If you are traveling on the north/east shores alot - then sure, you'll need a car.

Hotel parking can be quite costly ... and personally, I think the fewer lost people on the road - the better.

But The Bus early in the morning to Hanauma is perfect.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanauma Bay - how to get there from Waikiki?

"Is this true? I took buses the one time I went and it toko me anywhere I wanted to go, including PCC on the north shore. $20 for a 4 day pass seems like a lot cheaper than a rental car for that time period. The only time we took a cab was to go to Hanauma Bay because it included all the snorkel gear for us."

More than 2 hours to get to PCC by bus each way. One hour driving. Plus if you drive you can stop at beaches along the way.

How much was cab fare (or shuttle) to Waikiki from the airport? $30-$35

How much was cab fare back to the airport? $30-$35)

How much was cab fare to Hanauma Bay?

How many of the $20 ($25 now) did you have to buy?

Was it worth spending an extra 45 minutes to get to Pearl Harbor by bus? And another 45 minutes to get back?

Was it worth losing 1 1/2 hours when you went to Diamond Head by bus?

What could you have done with the 6-10 hours that you wasted taking buses rather than driving? Multiply that by the number of people in your group.

You give up far too much of your time trying to save a few $$ by taking the bus.

About Hanauma Bay - Get there before 8:30 & you don't have to worry about parking. Get there by 6:45am & you can get in for free & not have to stand in any line to watch a film. You can go right to the beach.

First bus leaves Waikiki after 8am. It will go right past you if it is filled.

Mentioned in this post
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
150 Reviews
Oahu, HI