We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of hours

Melbourne Aust
4 posts
Save Topic
Couple of hours

Hi all,

We have approximately 3 hours between our flight from Honolulu to Maui. Any suggestions for a quick trip to fill in the time. I will be travelling with an 8 yr old.

Cheers,

Merrill

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of hours

I doubt that you've got the time to leave the airport, but perhaps someone else will have more ideas.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of hours

Not enough time to leave the airport.

There is a small museum there. There is also a Japanese Garden.

Several shops & restaurants.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of hours

Agreeing with the good folks above, that's not enough time to leave the airport.

But HNL a nice airport, there's an outdoor sunny grassy area, some shops, a restaurants, wiki wiki shuttle busses, etc. aloha, suze

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of hours

This idea is based on "knowledge/recollection" from at least 4 years ago, so help/correction will probably be called-for.

There is, or at least used to be, a really cute grouping of about 5 lei stands just outside (25 yards?) the interisland baggage claim area; across from the northeast (?) end of the building. If memory serves me, the prices are approximately 25% of those inside the airport & the selection is 25X greater...perhaps better than anywhere else in Hawaii.

Each stand is independently run by cute little Hawaiian Ladies; it might be an enjoyable, leg-stretching, excursion and I would guess you'd have plenty of time to exit/re-enter the terminal (we were planning on doing this earlier this year, but our flight from the mainland was 2 hours late arriving).

Once back inside the airport, the good news is that the new Stinger Ray's has really yummy Kahlua Pork Nachos...the bad news is that Lappert's Ice Cream flew the coop.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of hours

Map (believe it's current) to Lei Stands:

hawaii.gov/hnl/… stands

6. Re: Couple of hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 22:39
Melbourne Aust
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of hours

Thank you all for your replies, I have been to Honolulo/Maui a few years ago, and couldn't remember the amount of time to get through customs and check on a domestic flight. You all have convinced us to stay and check out the airport!

Merrill

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of hours

I have flown in from OZ to HNL, The whole customs process doesn't take that long. You probably have time to go to the lei stands - I think that is an exceptional idea. The only better place to buy lei would be Chinatown, and you don't have time for that. I think your daughter will love it!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of hours

www.state.hi.us/dot/airports/hnl/

Here is the airport website. Check out the maps and such.

10. Re: Couple of hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 22:39