We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenir help

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
souvenir help

Hi,

We'll be going on vacation to Oahu next month. We'd like to bring home a souvenir (or 3) for our 18 year old son. We'd like to bring home something that he will enjoy/use/treasure, but we're at a complete loss. If it uniquely say, "Hawaii," all the better! Thanks for the help!

-SOGGY

Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
89 reviews
from US$85.88*
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
117 reviews
from US$42.93*
Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes...
417 reviews
from US$467.28*
Special Offer
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
631 reviews
from US$80.31*
US$100.40
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenir help

Try the surf shops and there is a Billabong store on Kalakaua ave on the courner of Uluniu across from the Hyatt they have t-shirts that have that have some design and "Hawaii" on them at least they did for females my daughter and I both got one.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenir help

Thanks, UNCMOM. BTW, I didn't literally mean that the souvenir has to say "Hawaii" on it, although that's def okay ;-) Just meant something unique to Hawaii would be ideal...

Thanks again!

-SOGGY

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenir help

Honolua Surf Shop. Love their sweatshirts.

Funny, your post reminded me of when I gave my nephew some extra spending money for his family's trip to Hawaii. I was so surprised! He bought a tiki man statute. About 8 inches high. That's what he wanted! Never understood it.

Also - you'll see lots of cool surfing photos.

If he likes chocolate and/or macadamia nuts - you'll be in heaven.

T-shirts are (literally) a dime-a-dozen, but I love the quality ones at Crazy Shirts by the International Market Place. And the "Made in Hawaii" store on that same stretch of Kalakaua Avenue has (according to DH) the best assortment of baseball caps!

But the thing he would treasure most is a college catalog for the University of Hawaii!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenir help

BLBL - This is way too funny! Coincidentally, when I was about 14, my folks went to Hawaii and brought me back a UofH sweatshirt -- didn't remember that until your post LOL! Maybe I'll just have to carry on the family tradition!

-SOGGY

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: souvenir help

Soggy - it sounds like a plan!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: souvenir help

BLBL our first family trip to Hawaii was when my youngest was 11 or 12...his mission was to buy Tiki's and as a result he has an amazing collection!

But for the OP do a little research and buy him a shark's tooth necklace, a good one! You can buy him the cheap one's at the ABC stores or get him a , actual "real" grand one from a jewelry store. That youngest is now 25 and planning on rewarding himself next year with a $$$ necklace...age, condition and settings are the key in choosing a tooth. Much like a pearl!

The other good advice is the UH clothing! Best selection is at the UH bookstore about 10 minutes from Waikiki.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: souvenir help

WHat are some good jewelry stores in Hawaii? I have tried to look online and didn't find much. As you know we are going to Maui and Kauai.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: souvenir help

Jewelry stores ... ahh ... Na Hoku. They have several locations, but the two on Front Street in Lahaina/Maui made be the easiest for you to visit. Everyone goes to Front Street! (You can check on their website for locations as well.)

if you do a search, there was a long post a few months ago on the Kauai Forum about jewelry stores there.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: souvenir help

There is also a shop on Front Street in Lahaiana that specilizes in shark's teeth...sorry the name escapes me at the moment put it's not far from Cheeseburger in Paradise...across the street.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: souvenir help

Aloha,

I'd also go to Totally Hawaiian Gift Gallery in Maui, the gift shop at Bailey House Museum (Wailuku), and Martin & MacArthur in Wailea.

The OP's son might enjoy a nice wood piece from any of these.....or another item!