We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Hi All,

My partner and I are going on our second trip to Hawaii in December(yay!) and I wanted to get some feedback about the Swap Meet. I've had varying opinions on it from how wonderful it is for tourists/souvenir hunters (I'm not one of those by the way!) to don't bother, you can get everything you need from the International Markets - so any feedback/opinions/thoughts would be most welcome :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is the best place on Oahu for souvenirs. Much more variety than anywhere else. Much less expensive than anywhere else.

Costs $1 to get in. If you don't like it, it didn't cost much.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Well, what you heard is partly true. Yes, a lot of what they have at the swap meet can be found at the International Market place, but it's a lot cheaper at the swap meet. Also, there are a number of things at the swap meet that you can't find anywhere else. We always go to the swap meet because we love spending time on that part of the island and we visit some of the GREAT places to eat near the swap meet!

United States
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

It depends on what's important to you. You mantion souvenirs aren't. I personally don't want to waste one day in "paradise". "bargain hunting"!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

we went 2 years ago on the same day as we visited pearl harbor-easy to do both on the same day and an easy walk between the two!

my husband, myself and 20 year old daughter enjoyed the swap meet, lots of cheap souveniers and hawaiiana (is that a word????)-lots of variety!

my thoughts are that it is something to do if you have plenty of time and want cheap hawaiian gifts for home-but a lot of the items sold at the swap meet can be purchased elsewhere, such as the international marketplace and other places on the island (even abc stores)for not much more that you can buy form the swap meet. i wouldnt waste a day of paradise to do this kind of shopping if you dont have time to waste.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Where and how often do they hold The Swap Meet and is it just as the name suggests?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Here is a link to the web site.

http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

More of a Flea Market than a Swap Meet.

I agree that if you are going out to Pearl Harbor and you can work in a stop at the Swap Meet you haven't much to lose for a $1 admission, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.

I think the Internationsl Marketplace is just as good (or bad, depending on your perspective) and so is Hilo Hatties.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

I thought that it was full of junk and a waste of time. Hawaiian knock-offs made overseas. "Seconds" (somewhat flawed/cheap fabric) T-shirts. Alot of the same thing OVER and over. I wouldn't buy food (like mac nuts) there because of the lack of quality control, and it's WAY too hot for chocolate and other perishables. Their prices - you can do as well or close to it at the ABC Stores or Whaler's General Store, Made in Hawaii, etc.

International Marketplace is not really a shopping destination (meaning "big deal") anymore. There are SO many places to buy souvenirs of varying quality on Waikiki. And there are tons of posts about shopping for souvenirs if you scroll down through the past couple months.

Oahu is full of wonderful, wonderful things to see and do. Don't waste your time and energy at the swapmeet.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

Everybody keeps talking about how there are so many other things to see in do on Oahu (which I agree!), and how you shouldn't "waste time" in paradise by going to the swap meet, etc., etc., etc. But isn't that what most tourists are doing when they go shopping at other places?? Places like Ala Moana, the outlets, Hilo Hattie, etc??? They're taking time out of "paradise" by going shopping! And as I keep mentioning, the swap meet does have many things that you can NOT find anywhere else!

But it really boils down to a personal choice. Is it worth it to spend a few hours out of your day to go to the swap meet just to save a few bucks on certain things?? Is it worth it to spend a few hours out of your day to go to Ala Monana when you have the same exact mall stores at home?? Only you can decide that. But as mentioned, part of our vacation and part of spending our time in "paradise" is visiting the swap meet. They have certain Hawaiian t-shirts that I buy that I haven't found anywhere on the island except at the swap meet. And as mentioned, we also make a day of it by spending time and eating in the great nearby cities of Pearl City and Ewa.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

I live in a retail heaven ... but they sure don't have the stores I find at the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - is it worth it?

It is all in the eye of the beholder!

Think about the rent that is charged anywhere in Waikiki as compared to a stall in the parking lot at the stadium. That savings is absolutely passed to the consumer.

Here's the ting for me.... I hate shopping. I hate feeling ripped off. I like knocking everything out in one fell swoop and feeling like I got a reasonable deal. Therefore for me, if I need sooveniers - it makes sense. I go in, I eat a malasada from the truck, I get all shopping done, I leave - shopping done.

For me, it is worth it. For some who will go to the international marketplace and the ABC stores, maybe it's not - you have to figure out what style is yours.

I agree, don't buy your chocolate there - go to the Island Princess outlet off the nimitz - soooo ono!:

Island Princess Factory Outlet Store at 2846 Ualena Street in the airport area of Honolulu. Store hours are Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Holiday hours will vary, please call ahead.