We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the deal with renting a car- advice please

MOntreal
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
the deal with renting a car- advice please

We're staying on Oahu for 8 days. Husband and I are type of people who like seeing EVERYTHING there is to see so we're planning on renting a car at the airport and keeping it with us till we leave. So far, the cheapest we got is about $200 for the stay

Not sure if this is the wise thing to do. I know we'll spend a few days at Waikiki just vegging on the beach. I don't want to depend on the bus so I know we want to rent just wondering if renting it only for 4 days lets say while we're in Waikiki is better.

Is this difficult to do, way more expensive? Parking the car will be insane at 25$/day, but going each day to rent a car will be nuts too. When I factor in the cab ride to get to/from the hotel, convenience. I don't know what to do!

Advice??

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Weekly rates are cheaper. You should check the daily rate for the car + parking vs. the weekly rate + parking. Personally, I would just rent the car for the week. You might just change your mind about just hanging on the beach. There are plenty of beaches around the island that are nicer than Waikiki. And less crowded.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Here are some options:

1) You can pick up a car at the airport and front-load those activities/explorations that require a car. Perhaps keep the car for 4 or five nights and then return it to the airport. Downside: weekly rates may be cheaper and you'll need to take The Bus or a cab back from the airport. Anyway, this is what I am trying on my next trip.

2) Same a #1 - but pick it up in the middle of your trip and return it to the airport when you fly home.

3) Pick up a car on Waikiki and keep it for the amount of nights you need. Then return it to Waikiki. There is usually a fee added if you do not return a car to the original site where you rented it.

There is a better selection of cars at the airport, but Waikiki is pretty handy! Waikiki is very walkable and The Bus - pretty darn good.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Yeah,.. You are on to the right thing...Rent Car right from arrival and return to Airport on Departure. You are prepared for the parking fees...part of the holiday. No worries about cab fare to and from Airport etc..freedom to do what you want when you want...and Car is the same price for 5 days as it is for 7...so...good deal all around! Good choice!!

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

When you land take a cab in to your hotel. Spend a few days chilling and when you get the energy take the bus out to the airport to get a car for the rest of the week.....

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Rent a car the entire time. You can see the island much better with a car.

You are likely to spend as much on cab fare, buses, shuttles & occasionally renting a car as you would renting a car the entire time. If you do save any $$, it will be insignificant compared to the time you lose taking buses.

lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Kapahi Kauai
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

$200 to rent a car for a week? that is amazingly affordable.

the $25 a night to park the car seems a huge rip off.

Maybe you can find another hotel close by that offers

much cheaper parking and park the car there.

Or, switch hotels.

I don't like crowds or busy beaches, so Waikiki is not my thing.

Kapahi Kauai
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Avoid the bus system on Oahu. Really!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

$25/day for hotel parking is indeed a huge ripoff but is not out of line for Waikiki hotels. The Marriott charges $31/day unless you want to self-park and pay a charge every time you take the car out. Unlimited in-and-out is vale only at $31/day.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

Please don't listen to a Kauai poster regarding our fabulous bus system on Oahu. I ride it almost every day (totally by choice) if I don't feel like walking or it is raining.

The Bus is safe, clean, efficient, rider-friendly and widely considered one of the best in the US. It remains a bargain at $2.25 to anywhere nf the island, has lots of express options which visitors should use more, and does a fine job of running on time.

Honolulu loves and embraces its bus system, and it is widely used by all economic classes and ethnic groups. In the central urban corridor of the island from Kahala to the Airport, it is virtually as efficient as a car.

But definitely rent a car if you planning on heading out to the fartehr reaches of the island.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the deal with renting a car- advice please

We agree about the fabulous bus system on Oahu! We will be going in January for our 10th time, and have never rented a car. Of course, we stay at least two weeks so have plenty of time, and figure if we don't see something one time, we'll catch it the next time. For the period you are planning to be in Waikiki, walk, or take

www.TheBus.com

For the time you want to explore the rest of the island, get a car. You can always take The Bus to the airport to get a car, if it is cheaper to rent at the airport, or you can get a car in Waikiki. Hotel parking rates are expensive.