We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hawaii and or other Islands

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
hawaii and or other Islands

we are planning a trip to Hawaii next summer that will allow us 10 days we, Oahu is a must for 5 days but we can't decide on Maui or The Big Island for the other 5 days.

can anyone recommend nice hotels that are are in good locations but doesn't cost the earth.

also do we need to hire a car to get around?

sorry for all the questions we would really appreciate all your ideas.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

You can get by on Oahu without renting a car.

A car is preferred, but you can get to most attractions by bus.

A car is almost required on any other island.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

I'd want more time to do Big Island. Most first-time visitors like Oahu plus either Kauai or Maui; all three are small and tropical.

In summer you could enjoy Kauai's most gorgeous part, the north. All of Maui's western side would be fine too. You could even stay put on Oahu, splitting time between Waikiki and Turtle Bay on the north shore.

Kauai is the quietest -- more loved for its natural beauty. It's THE island for a helicopter tour.

Maui has tropical beauty, plus the widest choice of lodgings and restaurants outside of Honolulu.

"Hawaii For Dummies" is a good reference. It's one of the "Dummies" series on just about everything on earth.

If you'll give us an idea of your ages, likes, budget of lodgings, we can be more specific.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
716 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

If you are doing Oahu first you can cast my vote for either Kauai or the Big Island.

If you think there is a chance you may be back to Hawaii later then I would choose Kauai for this trip. 5 Days there is about right.

If this is your one and only trip to Hawaii then I would do the Big Island. Ideally you want much more time there but if five days is all you have then go for it!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,050 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

For that other island, I would highly recommend the northshore of Kauai - during the summer is the best time for this spot, which has to be one of the most beautiful on the planet. Hawaiian royalty spent their summers on the northshore of Kauai - go for it! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,731 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

I would do Oahu and the south shore of Kauai (Poipu) over Maui or the Big Island.

Hotels in Waikiki, Outrigger Reef, Marriott COurtyard, Waikiki Circle, New Otani, Park Shore..... these are all over the place in terms of price, location, etc. check them out and go from there. Come back when you ahve narrowed down your choices for feedback.

http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

I second coalminer. The north shore of Kaua`i is the place to be in summer. It's what you might imagine a tropical island to look like and will give you a stark contrast to O`ahu. Swimming will be better in the north at that time, although south is usually OK, too. Still, we get south swells in the summer, which tends to leave the northern beaches calmer.

In my opinion the Big Island warrants more than 5 days. It requires a lot of driving to see the must-see places, and more than a day or so to get a good experience of them.

Mentioned in this post
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,960 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

Whether or not you rent a car will be the deciding factor. You don't need one on Oahu, but it would come in handy. For the other islands -- you need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
8. Re: hawaii and or other Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 05:16