We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

bay area, ca
2 posts
Save Topic
United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

My husband and I flew United from San Francisco last week to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I told the check-in person that we were celebrating our anniversary and got not one single response. Not a congratulations, nothing! She just gave us our boarding passes. When we finally go onto the plane and got to our seats. I told the stewardess that this was our 10th anniversary trip of a lifetime and she said congratulations but did nothing else special for us. Its like no big deal. Isn’t 10 years a big deal anymore? Not once did I get a special gift or recognition. We paid over $1500 for the two of us to fly to Hawaii, we chose United because we live in the Bay Area and try to support local businesses, but its like they don’t do anything back.

The thing that really burns me up is that as I went to use the bathroom I looked inside the first class seats. I saw at least 10 people who were in uniform and sitting in first class. Since when is this employee-class? How is it fair that they give these seats to employees and not to the PAYING passengers?

I sent United a letter telling them that this is really bad and not at all fair and the paying passengers should be treated better. How much did those employees pay for their seats? I bet it was a lot less than us! If they want to sit there they should pay for it just like everyone else! -Janet

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Not sure what all you were fishing for but yes, employees can go upfront. Was coach full? If so where else would they go?

It is too bad you did not get many congrats, yes 10 is special but bear in mind, ahlf the folks oing to Hawaii are either on their honeymoon or having an anniversary.

It is pretty rare these days to get a bump to first class for any reason other than, coach is full when the plane is oversold.

Hopefully your trip was better that the start, most resorts do acknolwedge anniversaries with some bubbly, fruit basket or an upgrade if a room is available.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Forget one other point. If they were in uniform (like flight attendants or pilots) it was possible they were deadheading were going to be the crew on a return flight. As far as I am concerned I would want a well rested crew and they might get that up front.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Why would you think it's any of your business who sits in First Class?

California
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

This poster is unreal. Does she actually think the airlline owes her an upgrade? Do you have any idea how many people they see traveling on a birthday or anniversary? Apparently you haven't flown on an airline for the last 10 years, they don't care! Go back to Marin and enjoy your privileged life.

USA
Level Contributor
398 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Congratualtions on your anniversary. I have to say I hear what you're saying but I just don't agree with it. We've been flying to Hawaii for many years and have been in First Class ONLY when we have paid for it or upgraded. We have never been comped to First on that route. I guess it happens now and then but I'm sure it's rare. As someone else pointed out, most of the people on the plane are going to Hawaii to celebrate something - they can't put everyone in Frist Class! And, realistically, how are they to know that it really is your anniversary? Flight attendants have heard it all.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Congrats on the anniversary -- it IS a big deal! I think you'll have a hard time finding ANY airline to agree, though. Maybe a 50th anniversary -- but even then, it's doubtful.

Many of us fly thousands of miles a year on various airlines and don't get upgraded on the Hawaii routes, either -- also disappointing but a fact of flying these days.

Generally now, you get what you pay for, and if you pay for coach, you can count on sitting there.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

Just my opinion, but I think it is quite rude to announce to people it is your anniversary simply for the sole purpose of expecting something in return as seems to be the case here. The airline employees probably saw that you were purposely fishing for something (upgrades/gifts etc) and were put off by that.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
429 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

wow, I guess that dashes all my hopes about all the perks I thought I would get for my 25th wedding anniversary.... LOL!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,632 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

I was flying First on my 25th a few years back. When I announced that it was our anniversary to the check in agent she DOWNgraded us! LOL.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United to Hawaii- not for special occasions!

jmalama, You really need to get a grip!! If you let something as trivial as this get your goat, you're in for some real big surprises that life brings along the way. Flying now a day's gets you nothing but a seat on an airplane, anything else cost extra or is non-existant.