We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

FL
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Looking at an 8am flight to Maui on Hawaiian Air. Will be staying at the Royal Hawaiian and will not have to return a car. Will the traffic be heavy in that direction? How much time would I need to allow for arrival and check in? I will try and get my boarding passes printed at the hotel. Appreciate any help.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

If you have no luggage to check-in, and can print-out your boarding pass before hand, being at the airport about one-hour prior to departure is plenty, so you would have to leave the hotel by about 6:20 to 6:30 AM as it will take about 25 to 30 minutes.

If you have to check-in luggage, you should be there about 1:20 to 1:30 before departure, so leave the hotel around 6 AM.

FL
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Made a mistake on the day. It will be Sunday. Will have luggage. Trying to decide between an 8am and maybe 9 something flight. Coming from the eastcoast so I am thinking we will be up early and getting out won't be a problem. Just don't want to be in traffic if I can avoid it. Thanks.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Traffic that early on Sunday morning will be exceptionally light, and you can make it to the airport in 15 to 20 minutes easily.

Plus, the inter-island terminal is pretty slow to dead going out of Honolulu first thing Sunday AMs, with no local business travel, and most tourists going the other way heading back into HNL to catch flights to the mainland.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

How are you getting there?

A cab will take about 25 minutes.

Shuttle will take about an hour. You have to make reservations 24 hours in advance for most shuttle companies for the Waikiki to airport trip.

Are you driving & parking at the airport? If so, it will take about 25 minutes. Add another 5-10 minutes for parking & walking to the terminal.

FL
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Taking a cab. If I leave 6:30 am for an 8am flight would that be enough time?

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

That is really risky -

I have had some good sized delays at check in at HNL airport before. I have never gone at that hour - but why not give yourself another half hour to be safe because you never know what might happen on the road, large group check-ins that might really bog things down, slow security check lanes, etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

That sounds awful tight to me, even at that hour on a Sunday morning. Something unexpected can happen with traffic or line ups can happen at the airport at any time. You just never know. Why not go a 1/2 hour earlier and not have to worry about making your flight?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Heck, why not go the night before then and just hang out to make sure....

In about 1,500 interisland departures from HNL, taking in every day of the week at all times, I have NEVER even come close to missing a flight when at the airport an hour before departure.

And Sunday AMs are the slowest possible time. Hawaiian only has a single mainland flight at that time (to Vegas), which are what cause the bad back-ups; as evidenced every afternoon as half a dozen depart between noon and 2 PM.

Of course, I travel without luggage almost all of the time interisland. So, if you have luggage you may want to allow an extra 20 to 30 minutes, to be absolutely sure. Even when traveling with luggage to the mainland on Hawaii (hundreds of times), and enduring long lines at the ag inspection and security, an hour has been more than enough.

And, if you print out your boarding pass before time, there are special (short) lines to accomodate checking in your luggage.

As long as you are stepping into a cab between 6:20 and 6:30, you will have no difficulties even with luggage, and will probably have more than enough time to stand in the typically long-line for the Starbucks stand in the gate area and finish your cappaccino before boarding.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

I'd leave at 6:00 am. I'm not as quick on my feet as Amberloo. I was delayed by the "unthinkable" on an AMTRAK train yesterday, so I am reminded that "things happen." If you get there early, grab some coffee and the morning paper.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic to airport on a Mon. in the am ??

Not a question of quickness BLBL, I just absolutely hate excess waiting in airports (the story of my life), particularly if it is too early in the day to have a cocktail.

But on a Sunday one could even catch the 6:15 bus from Waikiki (route 20) and get to the airport before 7 AM (a full hour before departure), and end up hanging out for 45 minutes at the gate. I have done it many times.

If in a cab, you would certainly beat the bus by a good 20 to 30 minutes.

Get in the cab by 6:20 to 6:30 and you will have a 99.98 percent chance of making your flight; with the remainder beyond your control that even leaving at 4 AM wouldn't solve.