We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanauma Bay--going solo

Sask.
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hanauma Bay--going solo

I want to go snorkling at Hanauma Bay but I do have some questions that I have not seen posted on this forum.

I am 62, going solo, a good swimmer and I'm wondering what the procedures are when you have no one to watch your clothes or possessions while snorkling. I will probally take the bus or an inexpensive tour to get there--how much money should I carry for any fees at the beach--I understand there are lockers--are they on the beach or on the hill before the beach. Practical advice please---Thanks

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

lockers are at the beach, ,you need $7.50 to enter the bay

Im not sure how much the lockers were as i didnt get one,I only had $20 in my bag,,so didnt worry about a locker.(i did keep looking back at the beach at my stuff LOL)

you need $2 if you want to catch the bus thing back up the hill,,

snorkle and flippers were $9 to hire there

Id go with the cheap tour $15,that includes your snorkles etc and you dont have to worry about bus or taxi then,and thats if you dont want to spend more than 2 hours..

I did it both ways,,and tour is the go..

Its a beautiful bay,,enjoy yourself and get the locker just in case,,$20 is plenty if you dont want to buy stuff at the shop

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

You can rent lockers from the same place where you rent snorkels and fins and it's near the beach. They will store your stuff in a small locker if your things will fit. If not, I saw some of the staff store the bigger bags underneath the desk.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

I recommend buying a small waterproof wallet/bag and keep your ID/credit card and a few dollars ( & maybe car keys if you're driving ) in that and swim with it.

we used the lockers and didn't have a problem, BUT they're not really lockers.....just a numbered slot, they tell you the number, you tell them when you want your stuff back, not exactly high security.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

Look at www.aquapac.com. We use the Keymaster to carry a key, credit card, ID and a bit of cash, maybe $25. This is the best waterproof bag we've found. It's small and has a lanyard to wear it around your neck or tied it to your swimsuit and stick it in a pocket.

Here's the link: http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#1X0.

You can also usually find them on Ebay.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

We used a larger waterproof bag that fit our iphone, blackberry, car key money and credit cards, with room to spare. It looked funny, but we were able to swim with no worries. It was a little odd when DHs phone rang and the fish scattered. Fortunately, he didn't try to answer the phone!

We bought the bag on Amazon. Because we were a little worried about leakage, we used an additional ziplock bag for the phones - worked perfect!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

If you do rent gear at Hanauma, you'll also need a credit card or drivers license. The rental booth holds onto that until you return your gear. I've always seen a fair number of unattended beach mats at Hanauma (I've been there 4 times this year), so I would guess that theft is not a huge problem. However, it would still be a good idea to keep valuables with you and just leave the bare minimum on the beach, preferably covered by a towel or something to prevent potential thieves from spotting anything appealing. The waterproof bag is a great suggestion, but in a pinch you can use a ziploc type bag for money/keys (wouldn't risk a phone in a flimsy bag, though).

-Carrie

hawaii
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

It's a safe place, not too many thiefs are willing to spend $7.50 for the chane to steal. Any other area you are risking you hard earned valuables stolen.

Sask.
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

Thanks everyone for your advice--I think I'll go with the cheap $15 tour bus (less hassle) and get one of those waterproof wallets. I'm staying at the Circle Hotel and I'm sure they can tell where to get the tour bus.

So, if you see a pale, overweight, Canadian, 62 year old woman talking to the fishes, it could be me.

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

Hosta12

You can book your tour right next door to your hotel at the beachside hotels tour desk.

Thats where i got my $15 tour from,you have a choice of 2 pick up times take the latest pick up time(12.25)as you do have to sometimes wait in line to pay,,then watch the video,then get down to the beach,,that all takes 30 mins.

It does tire you out snorkling,and the fish all look the same after a while LOL LOL so 2 hrs is enough time IMO anyway.

sure id love to spend the whole day there.but like a lot of people time is limited and there is always a million other things to see and do..

Good idea to get the plasic thing as you can use it again and again seeing your solo,,great peace of mind also for you

have a great time!

Sask.
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanauma Bay--going solo

Hi camdenmum , I assume you mean Pacific Beach Hotel, right? I'm a little unclear as to what you said about pickup times. I understood it was best to go early--do you remember how early the tour bus does pickup? Also I am assuming they provide the snorkel gear but you still have to pay to get in. Is $20.00 enough cash to carry?

Thanks again