We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Hawaii in February for 10 days and we're looking for ideas for budget hotels and activities.

We're really sporty so activities we are interested in would snorkelling, water sports, tennis, bike riding etc. Not hiking though...!! And of course beaches!

I've had a look around at hotels, and the Waikiki Marina Hotel seems very reasonable as it has a pool and tennis court and a kitchenette and is in our price range of $120 or less per night. Recent reviews look pretty good on it - is there anywhere else we should consider in Waikiki?

What are the options for budget hotels on the other islands/areas of Oahu?

Any help appreciated!!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

I have to ask.....why not hiking??

Manoa falls is still one of my favorite things I've done while on Oahu.

re: budget, probably Waikiki is the best place for budget hotels, there are so many to choose from.

other activities, you've basically got it covered - snorkel and rest on the beach, the best budget activities of all!

I'd avoid all the tours, rent a compact car for a few days to explore the other beaches and sights and you're set.

T

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

I don't know that specific hotel but that location seems pretty out-of-the-way. Most people choose to stay on or close to Waikiki beach, so you can walk to everything easily. But if tennis court and kitchenette are more important to you, maybe it's worth the trade off.

Some budget hotels in central Waikiki are: The Royal Grove, The Breakers, Waikiki Sand Villa, Queen Kapiolani, Castle Ocean Resort, Hawaiian King.

You could take surfing lessons, go boogie boarding, there's paddle boats you can rent on Waikiki, snorkeling at Hanuama Bay. Not sure about bike riding though (there's an awful lot of traffic around Honolulu most sections).

Are you planning on renting a car?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

Please, please scroll down through the Oahu Forum posts over the past couple months. Your questions are common ones, so you will find a ton of information. www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

This website has a good hotel map.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

$120 a night is waaaaay too much for that hotel, which is/should be among the cheapest in Waikiki...

Checking real quickly, you can book it on the Aqua website for $69 (lower floor) to $119 (upper floor, better view). It is available on hotwire.com for around $60. Not sure the view is worth $50 a night.

It is a strange tall, skinny property. Like an obilesk, with only four units per floor. The units which at first appear to be spacious, have an odd shape which limits their usability. The elevators are "glass" exterior ones, great views, but can be a little sketchy when it gets windy. No lanais, but the ocean-facing wall is mostly glass.

I was in the building and a couple of units a few months ago, and they were redoing the elevator lobbies and guest floor hallways. The kitchens are actually pretty nice, fairly large, with all the utensils and appliances you may need.

Minimal services in the building, nearest thing is the ABC Store half block away. And, the front desk closes at night.

If you enjoy walking and think nothing of a 15 to 20 minute stroll, then it is a great location with easy access to Ala Moana Beach Park and Shopping Center and Central Waikiki. Its a pain driving until you learn the right way to access it because of the one-way divided roadway it is on.

At $70 or $80 a night, it is reasonable. For $120 you can do much, much better in Waikiki.

Oh, Oahu can be done dirt cheap if that is your goal. A couple can have a wonderful time for as little as $120 to $150 a day (hotel, food, bus, beers).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

Rental cars are in short supply in February. If you want one -- and *I* would, to see the rest of Oahu outside of Honolulu -- reserve it NOW.

How long will you stay in Hawaii? (You asked about other islands.) You will save by staying put on Oahu. Hops to other islands run about $50 pp one way and will eat half of one of your vacation days. In February the northern parts of all the islands get their cool, windy, rainy weather.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

If budget is a primary consideration, I would stay on Oahu, and use public transportation. There's loads of hotels under $100/night in Waikiki. And you can eat really cheap as well (farmers market, grocery store, bakery, shrimp truck, etc.)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

You really should stay more centrally located in Waikiki and you can do much better for 120.00.

I have stayed at the Royal Grove twice and really like it you can get a room with a kitchenette for under a 100.00 but it is very popular in the winter so not sure you could get in but call and see. Another buget option is Waikiki Prince kinda catty corner from the RG and also under 100.00 both are very centrally located. The RG has a pool and you can even use some surfboards they have in the lobby and also beach chairs,coolers,mats etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

If you plan to get a car and you do not care if you are on the beach - you could get a small rental outside of Waikiki. We are renting a studio for 80.00 and getting a car at Costco for about $150 total for a week. A lot depends upon your style and what you want to see. We love being out and away from the crowds. Having the studio rental allows us to spread out a bit and enjoy the fresh food in Hawaii. I do plan on cooking in a couple of days. Here's a link to our rental:

http://www.vrbo.com/45480

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,644 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

Lots of inexpensive lodging on vrbo. Many include free parking.

You can find something for under $100 including parking.

Oahu:

www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu

Waikiki:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…waikiki

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii on a Budget - Feb '10

For inexpensive meals, don't overlook the food courts various shopping places... International Marketplace, Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, Ala Moana mall all have a large variety reasonably priced meals. I ate Sunday evening at Blue Water Shrimp & Fish at Int'l Market for $12.95 had a lovely shrimp scampi dinner with all the trimming, while listening to (free) steeldrum music show.